fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1

Well im still trying to make it to the mudbug

well I spent the last two days working on my 95 dodge custom van.
    That poor thing has had 130k hard miles all across this country, ussually dragging overloaded trailler with the peddle to the floor.

anyway I flushed the radiator, replace the upper hose,t-stat,belt, belt tentioner,front brake pads,oil,filter,plugs,etc.
    still need to work on the rear suspention, my leafs on one side keep twisting, so something else to fix now.

Its looking like I might cross my fingers and hope she makes it.
    so if you see a fullsize white custom van with a yellow xpl behind it broke down between austin and morgan city stop and tow me to the bug.
    I brought a tow rope

+1
    good luck I bet alot of guys would apreciate you being there...

+1
    What day are you expected Daniel? Haul into my shop if your coming Friday,,,I`ll help you on that van. Feels like I owe you one for the skegs anyways. I`ll get my guys to run duals on it while ya wait!

+1
    well Im about done workin on the van.
    tomorow im messing with the leaf springs, they keep shifting so i had bought some leaf clamps to try to hold them all together.

now to rewire the trailer. we had did some welding on it and melted the wires.

tomorrow im dragging it to work. 66 mile round trip, so it will be the test ride for the van. if it doesn't "run hot" then Ill definatly be rolling to the bug friday morning. just praying i fix the cooling issues.

+1
    well tested the van today and its still running hot
    it was better then before but still above the 3/4 mark. (mid day like 95deg)

anyway i flushed it again, and got even more crap outta the system. put in some superflush juice. so im going to run it to work again tomorrow with the trailer behind it and see if it runs any cooler.
    worst case ill run the dam heater all the way there if i gotta

We are leaving austin thursday night about midnight so it should be a bit cooler traveling and less trafic.

If all goes well i should be in morgan city around noonish friday.

Central Arkansas or Missouri on lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, Bull Shoals
    post pics.

LOL Not laughing at yo Daniel, but I used to build houses and at the end of the hot summer days i would load into my old POS 84 S-10 and have to drive in rush hour traffic with the heater on high....... talk about some road rage days lol...... it was suffering from the same problem I took it to a radiator guy he cut the ends off the radiator, used some pipe cleaner like brushes to rod it out fixed the leaks and brased the ends back on for not to much money I know cause i didnt have two dimes to rub together during that time of my life

Perhaps the fan cluch needs to be replaced? Not sure if that model year has electric fans or not. I know my old 2001 chevy work van still had a fan clutch, but in my '05 silverado - the 2005 model year was the first for electric fans.

Another idea would be to drill a small hole or two in your t-stat where it sits in the housing, as maybe you've got an air pocket or something and it's having trouble bleeding out. I had this problem all the time w/ my 97 Z28, and this is what I did to fix it - along w/ installing an electric waterpump so I could bleed the coolant w/out ever starting the car.

Dunno if you've thought of ither of these ideas, or if they even apply. Just speaking from personal experience.

good luck w/ it

Thread Information