Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT GPS?

Earth, USA, California

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm going to write to some of my colleagues as well and see if we can get any references?
    Thanks in advance,

SPOT Satellite Messenger/Tracker SPOT1
    List Price MegaGPS: Qty $169.99 $149.99

Detailed Description

Introducing SPOT - The World's First Personal Satellite Messenger

Whether you're just checking in, allowing others to track your progress, or calling for help - SPOT gives you a vital line of communication with friends and family when you want it, and emergency assistance when and where you need it. And since it utilizes 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world - even where cell phones don't.

Low-Cost satellite service subscription required.

ALERT 9-1-1:
    Use this function In the event of a life threatening or other
    critical emergency to notify emergency services of your exact location and that
    you need assistance.

How It Works:
    Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the
    GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to a GEOS
    International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled. The
    Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on
    your location and personal information - which may include local police, highway
    patrol, the Coast Guard, our country's embassy or consulate, or other emergency
    response or search and rescue teams - as well as notifying your emergency
    contact person(s) about the receipt of a distress signal.

Important Note:

Even if SPOT cannot acquire its location from the GPS network it will still attempt to send a distress signal - without exact location - to the Emergency Response Center, which will still notify your contacts of the signal and continue to monitor the network for further messages.

SPOT is designed for maximum reliability. Spot performs a self-diagnostic test each time it is powered on. Additionally, Spot strongly recommends that you send and verify an OK/Check message each time before use. This allows you to evaluate your entire messaging system, from the operational condition of the messenger to the readiness of those you've chosen to notify of your messages.

Satelite Subscription
    (By Globalstar the leader in satelite phones)

$99 USD/yr basic satellite service subscription includes:

ALERT 9-1-1:

Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

Let contacts know where you are and that you're okay. Unlimited usage included.

Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

ALERT 9-1-1:

Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.

Terms and conditions apply

Upgrade Services:

$49.99/yr USD Tracking Upgrade Option
    Send and save your location and allow contacts to
    track your progress using Google Mapsô.

GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit

$7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards)
    Provides up to
    $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter
    extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits - underwritten by Lloyd's
    of London - for any emergency service expenses incurred.

SPOT works around the world, including virtually all of North America, Europe and Australia, portions of
    South America, Northern Africa and Northeastern Asia, and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas. See coverage on for maps and
    current coverage.

Battery Life

Includes 2 AA lithium batteries; under normal usage a full battery charge should meet or exceed the following

Power on, unused: Approx. 1 year

SPOTcasting tracking mode: Approx. 14 days

9-1-1 mode: Up to 7 consecutive days

SPOTcheck OK/v: 1900 messages

Operating Conditions

SPOT works around the world virtually anywhere

Operating Temperatures: -40 degrees F to +185degrees F

Operating Altitude: -300ft to +21,000ft

Floats in water

Waterproof to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes

Humidity Rated:

MIL-STD-810E Method 507.3, 95% to 100% condensing
    Salt Fog Rated

Per MIL_STD 810E Method 509.3, 5% NaCl, 95% distilled water

Per SAE J1455

Random, 20 Hz to 2000 Hz, 0.04g2/Hz, one hour per axis

Dropped twice on all six sides from one meter onto hard surface.

OSHA certified Intrinsically Safe to Class 1, Division 1, Group A-D standards.

ROHS and WEEE compliant.

Certified to FCC and CE emissions, immunity and safety regulations.

Meets FCC part 25
    regulations, Canada type approval, CISPR Publication 22 (1985 1st Edition), RTTE
    Directive (1999/EC), IEC 60950 safety standard, and European EMC Directive

SPOT Support and Update Links

New Jersey Attitude Capital of the World
    Shawn I think im gonna get one
    Because you never know

Earth, USA, California
    Len-You are so right, if you are preparing you are what we call a PRUDENT MARINER...not a bad thing to be when boating!

I have heard that some of these smaller devices do not function effectively, that is why I was trying to ask around and see if anyone had any ?...I forwarded this to professional colleagues to see what they respond...FYI However with technology increasing the way it is, I see nothing but the future going to lower costs and efficiency as time moves onward.

Juneau, Alaska

SPOT tracker

I'll be using one on a solo PWC trip I have planned for this spring; I'll let you know what I think. See you in San Diego next week! Mike

Johnny on the SPOT

Great gadget! I bought one a while back and activated account last night. SPOT allows you to send ok or help messages to contacts via e-mail and/or text phone message. It sends message with gps coordinates and map or AERIAL SATELLITE PHOTO location. I'll pm one tomorrow to you Shawnie so you can see.

Great product in my opinion but SPOT has its limitations. You have to be conscious to transmit signal. But same with EPIRB. If you have been sending contacts regular ok messages and then suddenly stop, they might know there is a problem.

Cant use it as a remote tracker for theft deterrrent unless thief is thoughtful enough to push transmit button.

911 dedicated emergency button is a good idea but it would be nice if alarm could be cancelled or disabled. I dont like risk of false alarm although your contacts would be contacted and might help direct appropriate response.

My favorite feature? The AERIAL SATELLITE PHOTO showing your exact coordinates!

philippine islands, southeast asia
    It's a bummer they don't cover much of our region. We just rely on sat phones, gps, desalinators and hope for the best.

Mesa, AZ
    I might have to pick one of those up. I've found myself in a jam more than once...

I think a satellite phone is still the gold standard. Cant beat 2 way communication. And if you can sat phone from the top of Everest you can probably sat phone from anywhere.

SPOT may be one of the next best things though. Being able to transmit your GPS coordinates with short message to your list of contacts is what distinguishes SPOT from EPIRB.

Unfortunately, you cant change your pre written SPOT message unless you can access internet. And thats where Mitch's sat phone might come in handy along with PDA!

In the meantime, I'm still packin VHF and cell phone.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    ... You have to be conscious to transmit signal. But same with EPIRB.

...Can't use it as a remote tracker for theft deterrent unless thief is thoughtful enough to push transmit button...
    Perhaps with some engineering and simple modifications, it could be automated.

Put it in a plastic box with some electronics and a solenoid to press the location reporting button at timed intervals, and you have an automated position reporting system.

If the ski has been stolen, and a secret alarm disable button isn't pressed, then it the modified unit can report its location frequently until it is found, or the battery dies.

BTW, can SPOT be powered from the vehicle's 12 volt power?

Earth, USA, California
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    I'll be using one on a solo PWC trip I have planned for this spring; I'll let you know what I think. See you in San Diego next week! Mike

Heya MIKE!
    Can't wait to meet you!
    We'll be at the opening on the 17th, see you early in the AM and on the water on the 18th!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information