Any thoughts on n2o as an intercooler?

Any thoughts on n2o as an intercooler? for a supercharged boat, I've had it on my car and it was great ,just a small shot .

I say thumbs down. You want reliable consistent speed. You want to tune your prop to spin 8100 at WOT. Your prop is your 1-speed transmission; if you had NOS, you'd either be bumping the rev limiter, or you would have to use a much taller prop to handle the short shot, but the rest of the time, that prop would be way too tall for the engine's horsepower.
    Last edited by VX1; 04-12-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Meant NOS, not NOX

I see what you sayin ,but what about a 20 hp intercooler or for when its really hot and you lose power ,so it would just give a cooler air advantage vs the other boat that has lost hp because of hot air and water temps. Just a thought .

An external intercooler mod, such as Riva or XS Power, coincidentally does gain you close to 20hp, so make sure you have one of those first. These intercoolers are a bit more efficient than what's in a car, due to a constant supply of relatively cool water.

When it's really hot, it's usually hot for a long time, because of the seasons. I find my boat can be 2mph faster in the winter, but there's little difference between one day to the next, because the temperature of the water has more effect than the ambient air temp. Between summer and winter seasons, to maintain optimal performance, I have to change or repitch props, or the best solution is changing the size of the venturi. (I'm sure people who don't mod their boats probably don't care about 2mph, but when you've spent big money to gain that MPH, you care.) Anyway, my point is, let's say you're dailed in perfectly for the wintertime running 8100rpms. Then you leave it that way for the summer and your running 7900rpms. All summer, you'd be leaving speed on the table, except that brief moment when you give it a NOS shot (which I'm sure can also play havok with your AFR, especially getting close to the limiter).

I don't know how much a nitros system costs, but I'm sure there's an initial cost and ongoing cost based on usage. I think that money would be better spent on a permanent HP upgrade. I just spent $1500 to convert my supercharger to a Rude*. That's a +50hp upgrade over stock, and a constant supply of power on tap.

*but I couldn't have gotten the Rude without other investments such as the RRFPR, ext. IC, thermostat, etc.

How hard is it to change the prop ? Is it the same as the older seadoos?

I have no experience with the older Sea-Doos, but it would almost have to be at least very similar. In comparison to some of the pain-in-da-ass mods I've done, getting the prop switched out is one of the easier of 'em. Everyone should know how to work on their own pump, cause it needs attention more than anything else. An hour job, once you have the tools and have done it a few times, but in the beginning, it could take a somewhat longer amount of time. All the info you need is right here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Using NOS as an IC spray is a waste of NOS...it works a lot better in the intake, and the gain seen from spraying it underhood is basically just the incidental ingestion of NOS that invariably happens.

To see the other side of the coin (using CO2 as an IC spray), google "spray CO2 Cheetah".

Thread Information