Thread: Limp Mode

Limp Mode

For some reason my gtx ltd goes into limp mode. First it would do it after about 2hrs, then gradually less and less.. now after about 30 minutes. Then engine goes to 0 rpm for a split second.. doesn't kill. Then my top rpms slowly go down to about 6500 or lower. I had bad gas in the system, but I removed it all. It runs great until the split second of 0 rpm. I hate to bring it to the shop even though it is under warranty b/c they are far away and it will be there for so long.

I also noticed that after a 30 second warm up my oil level was about half inch over the top of the bend. Is this ok? Could this be causing the problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dothedew View Post
    I also noticed that after a 30 second warm up my oil level was about half inch over the top of the bend. Is this ok? Could this be causing the problem?
    to much oil will cause the problem, get it down to below the top bend and see how you get on

What do you think the best method for doing this is? It is on a floating dock. Thanks

What do you think the best method for doing this is? It is on a floating dock. Thanks
    Did you check the level with the ski in the water, engine warm and idle 30 seconds, then let sit for 30 seconds? Or did you check the level with the ski on the floating dock? If you checked it on the dock, which is not level, you won't get an accurate reading on the dip stick. My ski is on a Jet Dock and I have to put the ski in the water to get a good reading. Once you get a good reading, you can use a vacuum pump for marine engines to vacuum some oil out of the dipstick tube. If you are going to change the oil, insert the tube from the vacuum pump 18.7" down the tube... Ron

oh ok duh.. stupid me I was checking on the dock. I'll get an accurate reading and post the results.

ok on the water oil level reading shows between 1/4 and 1/2 inch over the top of the bend. Any idea how much oil I should take out? I got a siphon thing so I'll be fukin with that today.

+1
    ok on the water oil level reading shows between 1/4 and 1/2 inch over the top of the bend. Any idea how much oil I should take out? I got a siphon thing so I'll be fukin with that today.
    you'll probly have to take 1 litre out, if thats to much put some back,

ugh.. had a tough time getting even a tiny bit out.. let alone that much.. oh well i'll try again.

Ok.. got it about half way on the bend. Ran it @ wot for about 15 minutes, let it sit for about 45 seconds.. checked it again. still half way on the bend. Won't know if the problem is solved until I can ride it for an hour or so.

took out ~250ml

Thread Information