Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I want to replace CD stereo with MP3

I have a 2007 speedster and I can't believe that they put in a M255 head unit that only plays CD's, not MP3's. Do I have to replace it with a marine unit or will any brand head unit work? I realize they can't get wet though if it isn't a marine unit. I have had many boats with standard head units, you just need to keep them away from the rain.

Buy the Clarion M475. It's inexpensive and has an MP3 port.

I wish I hadn't had gone with a marine specific unit. Especially if you have a remote, the unit's not going to get very wet unless the boat sinks. I forgot where, but I saw a non-marine one that took SD memory cards, and that would have been nice, cheaper and more resilient than one hard drive based. My unit (Dual MXDM70) plays MP3 disks, and is supposed to have anti-skip, but the thing skips so bad when I trying to have some fun, that I ended up having to connect a separate portable MP3 player.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I have the M475 in my 06 Sportster

It's a great sounding head-unit and has some good power

Yes it has the MP3 port but best of all it's Satellite ready

I have Sirius Radio Hooked up and it's the only way to fly

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I wish I hadn't had gone with a marine specific unit. Especially if you have a remote, the unit's not going to get very wet unless the boat sinks. I forgot where, but I saw a non-marine one that took SD memory cards, and that would have been nice, cheaper and more resilient than one hard drive based. My unit (Dual MXDM70) plays MP3 disks, and is supposed to have anti-skip, but the thing skips so bad when I trying to have some fun, that I ended up having to connect a separate portable MP3 player.
    I bought a virtual reality vrcd400-sdu from walmart 180 watts am fm cd mp3 sd memory usb port remote $ 80.00. will handle up to 2 gigs a whole lot of songs. I put it in a water proof housing that has a tinted lid [face] ebay about $40.00 shiped I do not have to open often as I use the remote. Good luck Robin
    Last edited by rlloyd; 04-13-2008 at 11:04 AM.

I have the Clarion M475 with the satalite radio and wired remote. The MP3 connection works great, and the wireing harnes from the stock unit will work with this unit (saves you time on the install).

I have an amp powering the speakes and a sub so I can't comment on the sound off the M475 by its self.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    I don't have an amp with my M475 and I have to say it kick's azz!!!!

I'm very impressed with the power of the M475 Head-Unit with-out an amp

I'm using the Alpine M600 6.5" round speakers and it's a perfect combination!

Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    I bought a virtual reality from walmart 180 watts sd memory usb port remote $ 80.00. will handle up to 2 gigs a whole lot of songs. I put it in a water proof housing that has a tinted lid [face] ebay about $40.00 shiped I do not have to open often as I use the remote. Good luck Robin
    Can you not just use the stock flip down plastic water cover that is currently covering the original stereo? My boats in storage so I can't check, but I was hoping to simply just pull out the Clarion, and slide in another brand with a little wiring changes.

If you puchase the Clarion m475 it uses the same wiring harness as your current model. Just unplug everything and plug in the new one. Last time I checked the m475 was running $150. It would be a lot less headaches to go with that unit.

Yes, as long as it's the standard 1 DIN size, it will slide in and you'll be able to use the stock flip-down cover, not sure why Robin had to buy an extra cover for it. And yes, buying a Clarion does make it plug 'n play. Any other brand, and you'll have to rewire the harness. Not hard to do, but an extra step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information