Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: need help!

need help!

took the 150 out today for the first time since i bought it. Last time i was on here i needed some help with the engine light and realized after you all told me, that i had overfilled the oil. got it off the trailer today, cranked first time and took off only to have the temp. light come on and top out at 20-30mph. Went back to the dock checked the coolant and was low, problem solved. Went back out, no check engine light but this time acted limited, almost like an engine would be with the choke on. maxed out at 38mph and the turbo guage was only coming half way up. sometimes i would stop and idle and when i would hit the throttle to accelerate, would poke at 8mph. just bought this machine off a friend of mine. i changed the oil, new battery, and was going to change the fuel but there was only a gallon left in the tank from 2006. my mechanic at work smelled it and said it was fine so i fillled the tank with 93 ontane plus injector cleaner. i was thinking maybe the old fuel in the lines(should of ran it long enough today to get rid of that though). fuel filter(if there is one. kinda new to the pwc world). just really have no clue. please help me guys!
    thanks logan

You mentioned that you changed your oil. Have you searched this forum for the numerous posts about the common mistake of overfilling the reservoir?

The proper way to check for your oil level, is to run the engine for around 15 secs...turn off...wait a few minutes...unscrew the dipstick, wipe, and insert (without screwing it down). The level should fall somewhere BETWEEN 'add' and 'full hot'.

Too much oil can do what you are experiencing.

i think i'm good on the oil level, but will def. check again just to make sure. let you know tom. how that turned out. is there anything else it could be right off the top or your head? thanks for the help

There is a fuel filter, but it isn't changed until 100 hours.

You should also check the turbo waste gate for free movement.

rocky,
    me being very new to pwc and also stupid, could you explain to me where that is and just what to do? thanks man

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfking42084 View Post
    ... explain to me where that is and just what to do? thanks man
    Download the Service Manual, if you haven't already.

k447,
    i downloaded what you told me and that was very informative, but i just don't know where any of that is and don't know what it looks like. The best i can understand, the little door that they are talking about is spring loaded and that must be what is messed up. i just dont knnow where the wastegate is or what it looks like.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, if searching for other threads related to the waste gate doesn't get you what you need, then perhaps other MSX 110/150 owners will post some info and pictures regarding the waste gate.
    Last edited by K447; 04-13-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfking42084 View Post
    k447,
    i downloaded what you told me and that was very informative, but i just don't know where any of that is and don't know what it looks like. The best i can understand, the little door that they are talking about is spring loaded and that must be what is messed up. i just dont knnow where the wastegate is or what it looks like.
    Here is the waste gate...left side of engine, facing forward.

The rod is attached to a spring loaded baffle, so there will be some resistance when you try to move it. If you want to disconnect the rod, it takes a 5mm allen wrench (supplied in the original tool kit). With the rod disconnected, you can really know if the waste gate lever moves freely....

All said, and done, the problems that you are describing sound more like some of the engine sensors being fouled by the original oil overfill. But try the waste gate lever first....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WASTE GATE.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	67278  

rocky, thanks so much for the picture, that really helps. let me try that

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information