Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tips on what to look for.

I am new to pwc's and am looking at a 2000 yamaha xl1200 ltd. with a trailer. Im in in canada and the owner says he has never serviced it and never had any mechanical problems. He claims he doesnt know the hours but he says he is the second owner and has had it 4 seasons and he thinks he has put 50-70 hrs??? So he says the the previous owner(2 seasons) couldnt have put more than him. I am new to waverunners and dont know much but he also said he properly winterizes it (fogging oil on plugs, uses air compressor to blow out any water and detaches a couple of hoses., removes battery,etc) I went to go see it and it was surrounded by 3ft of snow.Is this not good for it??? or is it ok??? i could see a little of the bottom and it was what I would say scratched, but its a 2000 and I figure thats what it should look like???? he wants 5900$ can, and by doin my research that is overpriced? Is there anything that someone here can reply back to help guide me in the right decision? PLEASE I could really use some info. I would greatly appreciate anyones advice!

Thanks
    Baumer

never been serviced and 8 years old....i wouldn't go for it unless you have the confidence to do a complete engine rebuild..or know someone mechanically knowledgable. It just doesn't seem right that it's 8 years old and never serviced once.
    Last edited by yami_rida#26; 04-12-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Red face Well it was owned by a YAMA dealer before he owned it!

Sorry man I guess I left that out. He bought it in 04' and on the sales reciept it said service had been done to the engine and he paid 8500$. the inside of it looked really clean and well cared for. No rust and looked new. He says his brother in law is a small engine mechanic and he had done some things to it. He said he checked the bearing and propeller because his brothers was rattling and he wanted to see if his was but other than that its been 4 yrs. Is this still a really bad choice, even if the water test is good and it runs good??? thanks a lot for your reply and I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Baumer

Quote Originally Posted by baumer33 View Post
    Sorry man I guess I left that out. He bought it in 04' and on the sales reciept it said service had been done to the engine and he paid 8500$. the inside of it looked really clean and well cared for. No rust and looked new. He says his brother in law is a small engine mechanic and he had done some things to it. He said he checked the bearing and propeller because his brothers was rattling and he wanted to see if his was but other than that its been 4 yrs. Is this still a really bad choice, even if the water test is good and it runs good??? thanks a lot for your reply and I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Baumer
    oh well in that case...i guess it's your opinion and if you're on this site you're gonna learn a lot of things and MOD alsolol

+1
    Take your compression guage with you and do a check.....make sure the battery is fully charged so that the starter can turn motor at least 400 rpm...only take out one plug at a time...should be at least 120 psi stock.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    That ski has an hour meter, no need to guess

Smile Thanks for advice!

I will do that compression test, but do you do that when its on the trailer and hooked up usin a hose? And what if the psi is under 120, should I not buy or talk him down??? how much work is required to fix this problem?? I told the guy how to check the hours, what should I do if they are over what he said(150hrs). And do hours mean anything or are they there just for maintenance??? and in that case since its really never been serviced in 4yrs what might I be looking at to repair/maintain in the near future? Once again guys I want to thank you for replying back with very useful information and appreciate everything.

Thanks
    Baumer

I will do that compression test, but do you do that when its on the trailer and hooked up usin a hose? And what if the psi is under 120, should I not buy or talk him down??? how much work is required to fix this problem?? I told the guy how to check the hours, what should I do if they are over what he said(150hrs). And do hours mean anything or are they there just for maintenance??? and in that case since its really never been serviced in 4yrs what might I be looking at to repair/maintain in the near future? Once again guys I want to thank you for replying back with very useful information and appreciate everything.

Thanks
    Baumer
    When you do a comp test, your not starting the motor, no need to use a hose... just remove 1 plug at a time and record the # should be 115 to 120... In general above 100 is ok...If it is over 150hrs, plan on the cost of a new top end soon, probably at best the next 50 hours (compression numbers will help this prediction)... alot of the pv motors get rebuilt @ less than 100 hours... My concearn on the lack of service is "who winterized it and how did they do it) and the other thing that will probably need to be done is a carb rebuilt... maybe not now but in the near future...

Can an average person work on these machines?

I will do the compression test but should all three plugs read 100-120psi. or will one be lower? And I dont run the motor or I do??? one person says I should @400rpm and the other says I dont?? How do I get an accurate reading??? And if in the near future I do buy it, how hard skill wise it to rebuild the carb or top end of the motor?? And how expensive will it be on average??? I really want a waverunner but up here in canada they are hard to come by and pricey. And no one in my area to service it! so If I got a repair manual how difficult is it to service???

Thanks
    Baumer

I will do the compression test but should all three plugs read 100-120psi. or will one be lower? And I dont run the motor or I do??? one person says I should @400rpm and the other says I dont?? How do I get an accurate reading??? And if in the near future I do buy it, how hard skill wise it to rebuild the carb or top end of the motor?? And how expensive will it be on average??? I really want a waverunner but up here in canada they are hard to come by and pricey. And no one in my area to service it! so If I got a repair manual how difficult is it to service???

Thanks
    Baumer

I am an average mechanic and so far nothing is that difficult... The guys on here can help you alot... You have to crank the engine to get a compression reading, only one spark plug out at a time... all three should be close... there is also "sbt" top ends and motors.... but if there is a problem usually there is someone with the oem parts on their shelf that they will sell reasonable... repair manual is on this sight ... here is one for the XLT http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...ce/XLT1200.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information