Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Well crap... my house sank a little while ago

was out most of the evening with my parents picking up some stuff at Lowes, stocking up on 30 bags of mulch, went out to dinner, stopped and dropped groceries at grandma's house, etc...

we got home and i walk passed the basement door and heard a weird noise like water pump gurgling, my first instinct was ohhhh shit, the fish tank is leaking.. i have a 100 gallon tank with full under gravel high pressure filtration, nice setup... i get down the stairs and the noise is coming from the tank pump area so i just jumped down the steps to open the cabinet doors beneath the tank... well i jumped into water in the basement up to my shins

hot water heater let go

there was shit floating everywhere... there still is... i got two pumps going... and we have a flood company coming hopefully in the next couple minutes with a truck to continue pumping.... kinda sucks, nothing more we can do but just look at it

we got most of the valuables out so far... it's a fully finished basement that is under the entire size of the house, sectional couches, weights and treadmill, big screen tv sitting in the water, alot of picture albums and stuff in the closets in cardboard boxes and milk crates .. not good

after i fully evaluated everything 30 minutes later and the frenzy was over and we settled down and just sucked this up as reality the basement is wrecked.. is said ya know dad.. i'm damn lucky i jumped in the water i didn't get electrocuted... they would never have known i was in the basement in the water if i did since i found it and came running up to my dad to shut the main off bc he was outside doing something else and wouldn't have been coming in the house in the immediate future has something happened

every power strip and whatnot failed mostly... yet the fish tank had a power strip that was still running.. how did that not get me? ... i opened the cabinet doors and the power strip was on top of the filter canisters about 2" away from being submersed...

i guess i know what i'll be doing for the next few days now... so much for working on the ski...

+1
    Very sorry to hear that Shib.Do you need to take any sort of pics for insurance reasons? Probably a good idea.I feel for ya,wish i was there to help you out bro.Glad you safe.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Aww man...Sorry to hear

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Shibbs, you should go for a tankless system to replace this one, less water to flood and no storage tank to corrode under constant water load.

+1
    Sorry To Hear Shibbs.

Look on the bright side. Get those skis down there and have some fun at least.

That sucks Shibby. How many years were on the water heater?

Mother F'er That shit happened to me too. Sucks.

Thats why I got one of these.
    http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh...odsafe_wds.asp

Well worth the money.

That sucks! sorry to hear dude.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    that was just the second water heater that went... we'll be starting the third one tomorrow... we're original owners of the house, it was built 20 years ago... so i guess we're getting 10 years per heater

we're STILL sucking water out... the flood guy came and looked from the staircase and said ok guys no problem, few truck loads of water and we should be good... i dont think he understood that he only saw 1/3 of the basement from the stairs... we're still sucking with a mercury 20 inch water whatever that means or something through a 2.5 hose... it's sucking hard and fast and we're still going. almost near the end.

the water heater blew fast.. cant wait to see the hole thru the tank when we get it out tomorrow. we turned the main back on a little while ago to see how bad it was leaking... it comes thru with full force full city water pressure right thru the bottom of it, lol... we were down in the basement at 6:30pm and everything was fine... we got back 3 hours later at about 9:30pm and it happened that fast. all i keep thinking is good thing i have a sharp ear for noises and said to myself, the fish tank pump sounds awfully loud down there... if we had gone to bed for the night with that flooding.. shit we'd probably wake up to 3 feet of water or something

that's the first thing i did woody!! well maybe the second or third.. i took pictures of everything, and the guy that's hear is real cool too taking pics and helping us get everything possible replaced.

gonna be a late night... probably another half our of getting the big water out, then sucking it out of the area rugs and such. thank god the entire basement is ceramic tiled, that's helps alot...

then he says we drill holes in the walls every 8 inches with 1/4" drill bit and he injects some kinda drying agent or something... then tons of fans and dehumidifiers for about 4 days he says...

that's something my ol' man has been considering is getting one of those tankless combo things to get rid of both the water heater and the boiler/furnace whatever you call it for the baseboard heating

back to work... chat wit u guys later

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information