Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Pulling my RXP motor and tank to fight the delam process

Any suggestion on what additional work I should do since I'll have the motor out to do the tank reinforcement proceedure. I'm going to go ahead and flip the ski over to do the gelcoat touch up work also. Not looking forward to this but it will be nice to peace of mind while running hard this summer.

Has anyone ever regelcoated the entire bottom by hand and sand? I might dive in that once I flip it over.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by inteljd View Post
    Any suggestion on what additional work I should do since I'll have the motor out to do the tank reinforcement proceedure. I'm going to go ahead and flip the ski over to do the gelcoat touch up work also. Not looking forward to this but it will be nice to peace of mind while running hard this summer.

Has anyone ever regelcoated the entire bottom by hand and sand? I might dive in that once I flip it over.

Doing it right now in fact. While sanding I hit the hull a few times right where the tank would be, and could both hear and FEEL the 2 differnt layers hitting each other....

My solution is just to brace it up internally, because the gap is just filled with styrofoam that has already collapsed from the compression...I was gonna pop a few small holes and shoot a some Great Stuff expanding foam inside it, let it fill the gap...Then after sanding put a layer of resin on, then gelcoat...

+1
    Talking to Larry at RPM racing. His latest fix, and so far a good one, is to drill holes at the back corners (behind engine) of the inner liner, and at the front corners of the inner liner (in front of fuel tank) and fill it with expanding foam.

Just passing it along.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Talking to Larry at RPM racing. His latest fix, and so far a good one, is to drill holes at the back corners (behind engine) of the inner liner, and at the front corners of the inner liner (in front of fuel tank) and fill it with expanding foam.

Just passing it along.
    What kind of foam is he using? Wouldnt you have to be careful with some foams and the amount it expands? I know some 2-part foams expand like crazy even in confined tight spaces...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    What kind of foam is he using? Wouldnt you have to be careful with some foams and the amount it expands? I know some 2-part foams expand like crazy even in confined tight spaces...
    That's exactly what you want.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    That's exactly what you want.
    Got ya. Just wondered if there was a possibility of expanding so much that it would cause the hull to mis-shape from the pressure.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Got ya. Just wondered if there was a possibility of expanding so much that it would cause the hull to mis-shape from the pressure.

not really, if you put enough holes on the opposite side of the injection area, it will bleed out over there...

+1

Just passing it along.
    Uncle Larry is getting lazy It will not work, but, if it makes you feel better...... Well, then feel good!

+1
    I couldn't give a crap. I won't buy another SD until they do fix it. Like I said, Larry said it was working for him.

+1
    I am going to do it a little different ... I am going to cut out the feet and eliminate them totally (they ARE the problem, they focus all the weight of the gas tank onto two very small areas that then literally pound on the outer hull in rough water). I will yank out the styrofoam, glass over the openings where the feet were, and inject foam into the cavity. Then I will wet out carbon fiber with epoxy resin and lay it from the 'upper deck' (shelf above the tub) all over the tub itself, basically making a basket within the tub. This should distribute the weight/banging/sloshing of the gas tank and eliminate the cracking. By doing this, there will be almost another liner made of CF/epoxy that distributes the pressure all over the tub and the upper deck. Just my two cents, I don't expect everyone to agree, and your mileage may vary ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information