95 XP. Should oil be squirting out of the pulse line?

I am in the process of trying to revive an old 95 XP 720. I have rebuilt the carbs and replaced all of the fuel lines.

I am trying to get the oil out of the engine before putting the carbs back on by cranking the engine without plugs installed. Blew out a little oil through the plug holes, but oil continues to come out of the pulse line. Is this normal?

TIA

Sounds like you have bad crankshaft seals . You may need a new crankshaft. crankshaft seals keep the oil from rotary shaft from intering crankcase. Sad thing is seals can not be replaced without takking apart crankshaft which I do not believe I would atempt myself. good luck Robin
    Last edited by rlloyd; 04-13-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It's not normal. The crankcase could be filled with oil that evaporated from the excessive gas from a leaking needle and seat in the carb too.

Very seldom does a crank seal leak. The cases are more likely to leak from 518 breakdown between the metal.

Either way, pull the intake and stuff one paper towel at a time between the crank cavity and rotate it down to absorb the oil in the cases. Rotate back up and swap with a new towel. Repeat until you get all the oil out.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    It's not normal. The crankcase could be filled with oil that evaporated from the excessive gas from a leaking needle and seat in the carb too.

Very seldom does a crank seal leak. The cases are more likely to leak from 518 breakdown between the metal.

Either way, pull the intake and stuff one paper towel at a time between the crank cavity and rotate it down to absorb the oil in the cases. Rotate back up and swap with a new towel. Repeat until you get all the oil out.
    I like like your responce. what is 518? is it a sealant between crankcase? allso if seals did leak after storage your idea about paper towels may be able to get more life out engine before replacing seals if they leak slow.
    Last edited by rlloyd; 04-13-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should give a little background. The ski has been in our garage for seven years. Since finding this website, I decided to try and rehab'd it, but after searching I realized I would more than likely have seal problems. Denial is a wonderful thing....and I thought well maybe seven years is just enough time to have 'normal leakage' fill up the engine .

Still in denial I continued...

I rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines just to see if it would crank. Before replacing the carbs I cranked the engine to blow out the oil and noticed oil spitting out of the pulse line. It did seem to stop after awhile so I went ahead and reinstalled the carbs.

The engine did start and smoked badly for awhile but settled out. I realize I more than likely have a seal leaking, I am just hoping it is managable...something I can live with for the summer. Tomorrow will tell the tale. If it cranks I might try a water test. If not I guess its time to call SBT.

I saw another post about installing a 1/4 turn valve in the oil lines to, at least, keep the amount of leakage into the engine to a minimum. My only concern with this band-aide is having to bleed the damn oil lines after extended ski storage.

BTW, a big thanks to all the dedicated posters on this site. Posts from Bill and 96XPSS amoung others got me through the carb rebuild without a hitch. I appreciate all of your input. Because of this site, even an engine replacement seems possible .

Thanks again.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by rlloyd View Post
    I like like your responce. what is 518? is it a sealant between crankcase? allso if seals did leak after storage your idea about paper towels may be able to get more life out engine before replacing seals if they leak slow.
    Yes, it's the sealer they put on the metal mating surfaces of the cases, when they assembled the engine. It is notorious for breaking down and leaking. On a good note, many has fixed this problem by turning the engine upside-down and pulling the bottom case half off. Clean, degrease, and reseal with Three Bond 1211 or equivalent. Problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedjack View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should give a little background. The ski has been in our garage for seven years. Since finding this website, I decided to try and rehab'd it, but after searching I realized I would more than likely have seal problems. Denial is a wonderful thing....and I thought well maybe seven years is just enough time to have 'normal leakage' fill up the engine .

Still in denial I continued...

I rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines just to see if it would crank. Before replacing the carbs I cranked the engine to blow out the oil and noticed oil spitting out of the pulse line. It did seem to stop after awhile so I went ahead and reinstalled the carbs.

The engine did start and smoked badly for awhile but settled out. I realize I more than likely have a seal leaking, I am just hoping it is managable...something I can live with for the summer. Tomorrow will tell the tale. If it cranks I might try a water test. If not I guess its time to call SBT.

I saw another post about installing a 1/4 turn valve in the oil lines to, at least, keep the amount of leakage into the engine to a minimum. My only concern with this band-aide is having to bleed the damn oil lines after extended ski storage.

BTW, a big thanks to all the dedicated posters on this site. Posts from Bill and 96XPSS amoung others got me through the carb rebuild without a hitch. I appreciate all of your input. Because of this site, even an engine replacement seems possible .

Thanks again.
    You can pull your two oil lines from the tank (that feed to each side of the engine), tee them together, and pressurize to 6 PSI to see if the cases actually are leaking.

It's possible that the RV shaft seal might be leaking too, but unlikely.

Glad the carb rebuild went well!
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 04-14-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Thread Information