Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    SE Kansas

Ultra 150 previous owner should be shot?

When I got my ski I did not take the heads off. I checked compression, plugs impeller, and everything you normally would. It ran 68mph as promissed and I didn't have any problems with it at all. I rode it for around 50 hours and there was no big misshap. My cooling rail cracked awhile back and I had to pull my motor. I pulled my head to make sure the cylinder walls were ok after lossing some of the cooling they should have gotten. This is what I found!! The number 2 piston head is pitted all around the edges and the dome is pitted as well. The walls on the other hand are "perfect". Looked all over and not a bit of loose material. All cylinders have full compression still and I'm betting it would still run 68 like it did right before I pulled the head. These pitts are old, as in they where there when I bought the ski and if I had to bet I would say he knew about it seeing as how he had just rebuilt it the year before. What do you think? How is it that I can still run like a bat out of hell like this? I know of oceanpro heads you can just smooth our the dome and run it anyway. Do I need a new piston now or wait untill it blows?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADA head 002.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	67299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADA head 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	67300  

lebanon tn.
    Think I would go ahead and do the pistons. That is just too much like a ticking bomb. I do kind of know how you feel, when I tore mind down last fall I found a reed screw stuck in a piston. Mine ran its best speed of the year like that.

Southeast Ohio
    The pictures are not very clear. Is the damage from debris or detonation? If I rememer right, you also had a fuel line leak at the same time as the cooling rail issue. Could that have caused any of this damage?

South East Kansas
    Detonation, and the wash on it is really thick so it has been there for awhile. It might have happened after it was purchased but it happened some time back and then ran 68 mph.

Thread Information