Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aggravating Problem

I have an aggravating problem that we just can not figure out. This is what happens:

Put the ski in the water, starts no problem, revs up and power right off the bat. Runs great through the entire power range for as long as I run it. 1/2 hour, 1 1/2, it doesnt matter. Stop and shut down for as little as 5 - 10 minutes and it is very difficult to start, have to choke the crap out of it to get it to start, and it will die if I give it any throttle whatsoever. If I can get it to idle, in about 5-8 minutes I can rev to 3-4k but it dies anymore than that. Maybe after 10 or 15 minutes it will run fine until I shut it down again, and then it does the same thing. This weekend I had to wait for a friend to fuel on the water, I started it and idled every few minutes to avoid this problem, and at one point waited approx 5 min and it did it again. There is no indication that anything is wrong on the MFD when this happens either.

We at first thought it might be the accelerator pump so I rebuilt it, and it is working. We then took all 3 carbs apart and cleaned everything, saw nothing wrong with any component but cleaned and blew out everything. I also replaced all fuel lines, all check valves are working and replaced the plugs.

The specs and history of this boat:

2001 Virage TX 1200 with 40mm Keihin carbs. Everthing is stock. It was bought new in 2001 by a guy who 6 months later sold it to the guy I bought it from. He only used it a few times so it was stored in a garage for most its life. It was well maintained because it was in a equipment rental shop and the guy had his mechanics run it, lube it, and general PM monthly.

It only has 91 hours on it 5 of which I have put on it. I am quite familiar with engines and watercraft and so are my friends, and we are at a loss. We know this is temperature related, but can't find it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

hmm.........maybe clip just about an 1/8 or a 1/4 off the spark plug wire at the boot. can be corroded................unscrew boot off of wire to do it.............

Do you think it might be ignition related? We thought it might be hence the plug replacement. I will check the plug wires now.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    imma throw this out there ...does the gas tank have pressure in it after u ride? gas tank vent valve work?

Yes, somtimes. I thought it might be a venting problem but everything seems to be working. You would also think that if it was a vent problem, it would happen it a certain amount of time. I also have vented the tank while this was happening to no avail.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    checked the back of the electrical board in the electrical box for corrosion??

remember that the fuel delivery system is pressurized..........not vented...............its not completely gravity fed.....it must be pressurized for it to feed throughout............

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog6126 View Post
    Yes, somtimes. I thought it might be a venting problem but everything seems to be working. You would also think that if it was a vent problem, it would happen it a certain amount of time. I also have vented the tank while this was happening to no avail.
    Last edited by la90043; 04-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.

I did read somewhere that the tank does get pressurized during normal operation. it does seem to be, but I am not sure it does when this happens.

I will check the electrical board though....

numer fifteen (15) and number thirteen (13)

http://216.37.204.206/wps/Polaris_OE...e=13&A=93&B=16
    Last edited by la90043; 04-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information