Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ride...

First Ride...

Hey guys, I am new to the PWC world but I have been following this forum for a while now and I would like to say thanks to all of our frequent contributors for the wealth of knowledge available here to newbie’s like myself. I recently purchased my first PWC (08 Green Ultra 250X) and I took my first ride yesterday. Now...I have built and driven a lot of high performance cars and bikes but never have I been caught off guard like I was yesterday. I can honestly say that the Ultra surprised the hell out of me when I accelerated for the first time. Since I was breaking it in I did not thrash it to death but after warm-up and several slow to 1/2 throttle passes I decided to given it some 3/4 to full throttle runs. All I can say is ..."Holy Crap does this thing move". Given the rush I felt yesterday I clearly see why this sport is so addictive. I guess my only question is what should be my first modification if I plan to only use this craft for recreational riding?
    Last edited by kevhype0825; 04-14-2008 at 10:56 AM.

First of all welcome to the forum and congratulation I’m glad that you enjoyed your first ride, as far I’m also going to modify mine ultra (first modification) after reading through this forum and hear some owners experience I would suggest to get rid of the stock blow off valve, It has been reported from many of us that it does not hold the recommended pressure (leaking) which will not give you full boost
    You can block it or get adjustable type what ever you prefer.
    I prefer to not block it just to replace it with better type adjustable R & D BOV for example.
    Second question will be what type of performance are looking for? Top speed? Handling, acceleration? Are you riding in glass water or rough sea? It all depends... to go for ride plates wedges est.
    The common modification is to get air intake and free flow exhaust system. Better sound, not much gain in hp or speed, Ride plates will give you some 2 extra miles, with combination with wedges
    I guess you will hear more from others who already installed them
    Last edited by sportman; 04-14-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhype0825 View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to the PWC world but I have been following this forum for a while now and I would like to say thanks to all of our frequent contributors for the wealth of knowledge available here to newbie’s like myself. I recently purchased my first PWC (08 Green Ultra 250X) and I took my first ride yesterday. Now...I have built and driven a lot of high performance cars and bikes but never have I been caught off guard like I was yesterday. I can honestly say that the Ultra surprised the hell out of me when I accelerated for the first time. Since I was breaking it in I did not thrash it to death but after warm-up and a several slow to 1/2 throttle passes I decided to given it some 3/4 to full throttle runs. All I can say is ..."Holy Crap does this thing move". Given the rush I felt yesterday I clearly see why this sport is so addictive. I guess my only question is what should be my first modification if I plan to only use this craft for recreational riding?
    Lake/river ride or offshore?
    Usual water conditions?Rough or glass?

Where I will ride can best be described as off-shore conditions with 1 - 3 foot chop. Since the craft is new I might wait a while to see if I notice any degradation in performance as a result of a leaking BOV. Not saying it won't happen but the one thing I don't want to do is make this craft unreliable as my kids will probably ride it from time to time (with the SLO key!!). Given the ride conditions in my area I will probably make handling modifications first. Any suggestions?

also i would suggest to get a GPS, run you ski in break in period gently
    get your top speed measured after break in period for many times, take an average, now if you are running 65 + mph on your stock ultra you are doing well
    if not don't be so disappointed things could improved with many modifications...do not jump to a conclusion that you are having the slowest or fastest ultra in the region, take a ride in someone else ultra, see if you will feel any difference if not you are ok...man
    Last edited by sportman; 04-14-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks for the advice sportman! How many hours would you consider enough for breakin?

I think it says in the manual 10hrs. I pretty much broke mine in by the book.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Costco has a rippin deal on a Garmin Cx right now.

Thanks Earthshaker. I'll check into those Garmin's.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the amount of hours for break-in?

Quote Originally Posted by kevhype0825 View Post
    Thanks Earthshaker. I'll check into those Garmin's.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the amount of hours for break-in?
    it seams you are in hurry to finish the breaking hrs I ran it for 5 hr slowly then swap the key went for 2 hrs in 3/4 throttle after 8 hr full gas
    it the same feeling i wish if it be ready to race from day one

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information