Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

final testing of 03 gtx s/c

In a river run this weekend on a basically stock ski(impro impeller and riva blow off tube)cannot get the ski over 7200 rpm or so and 60-61 on speedo. what would you check to find anything weak before I start changing things. 4-4.2 mpg ant 40 mph. the 15.9 gallon tank is a joke for the fuel use of this ski. any way to get a larger tank for the ski? install it without pulling the motor? 64 mile rive run upriver into a head wind and ran out at 61 miles. my honda gets 6-7mpg easily and has a 20 gallon tank and is as fast after a prop re pitch and solas install by impros BTW. half the range disappointing to say the least. bob

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caflashbob View Post
    In a river run this weekend on a basically stock ski(impro impeller and riva blow off tube)cannot get the ski over 7200 rpm or so and 60-61 on speedo. what would you check to find anything weak before I start changing things. 4-4.2 mpg ant 40 mph. the 15.9 gallon tank is a joke for the fuel use of this ski. any way to get a larger tank for the ski? install it without pulling the motor? 64 mile rive run upriver into a head wind and ran out at 61 miles. my honda gets 6-7mpg easily and has a 20 gallon tank and is as fast after a prop re pitch and solas install by impros BTW. half the range disappointing to say the least. bob

Couple things...

- Check the oil level, anything more that 1/2 stick and you are robbing rpm...If its at FULL, then suck some out and you willget back 200-300rpm...
    - After that, check your WOT rpm...you might needs a repitch on the prop, thats if the oil removal does not work...
    - If that STILL does not resve it, you might be slipping the SC gear. its not a standard clutch setup, so once it wears, you're done...
    - 61 miles? Unless you are going WOT the entire time, thats way off. My father's 04 GTX, even my old GSXL, could do a 100+ round trip on just the 13.5 gallons before the reserve 1.5 was needed...Stay out of the boost when cruising and you'll sip gas...

Bob, are you the '03 GTX on the Ohio River that blew a piston a year or so ago? If you're a stock 185-hp ski, 61 mph is about where you should be. It really sounds like you are over-proped, You should be hitting 7500-7600 rpms at around 60-61 mph. I get around 5 mpg on Lake Erie and that's better than the 1 mpg I get in my Sea Ray. .. Ron

The tank that's in there nearly fills the hull between the engine and storage comparment. A larger fuel tank would be impratical and require removing the engine. Ride slower and carry a spare jug on the back of the ski.

03 gtx

I already changed props and repitched the new solas and had dave at impros do the install and changed housing to 04 aluminum and had jerry rebuid the s/c to 06 specs. runs about the same. what to check before upgrading ecu and regulator. fuel pressure? compression? slight oil smoke on startup after long storage then goes away. reduced oil level once will check again. bad or low injector? have shop manual should I get it out? thanks everyone. my river is the colorado in arizona,nevada and utah. need range. 40+ mph on this ski is 4.2 mpg during test as I rode it from full to runout to find out. bob

+1
    sound to me like you need to go with a less agressive prop. That ski is probably working extra trying to turn it and this will cause you to burn lots of fuel. You should easily get 100 miles on a tank at those speeds.

+1
    the 185 hp versions fo the 4tec were the least fuel efficient. the non SC units(155) and the SC intercooled units (215) both are more fuel efficient.

I already changed props and repitched the new solas and had dave at impros do the install and changed housing to 04 aluminum and had jerry rebuid the s/c to 06 specs. runs about the same. what to check before upgrading ecu and regulator. fuel pressure? compression? slight oil smoke on startup after long storage then goes away. reduced oil level once will check again. bad or low injector? have shop manual should I get it out? thanks everyone. my river is the colorado in arizona,nevada and utah. need range. 40+ mph on this ski is 4.2 mpg during test as I rode it from full to runout to find out. bob
    The only thing the '04 aluminum pump will get you is using less wear rings; it will not give you any more speed. You need more HP to turn more rpms, and it doesn't look like you have anything added to give you more HP. If you get to 7600 rpms, you'll be doing around 65 mph... Ron

I guess I was thinking of CaFlOh over on PPG's site:

http://www.sea-doo.net/board/thread....d=84592#845486

This ski lost a cast piston and ran like crap for a while. But, until you add something that adds power, like a fresh air intake, upgraded SC wheel, external IC, updated exhaust, OPAS block off, you're not going to see much more speed. And with the cast pistons, you're limited to around 215-hp, so the most you might see is with that impeller is 65-66 mph... Ron

03 test

so this is normal for this ski to not pull the rev limiter even repitched slightly? will an 05 rxp ecu and 52 pound fuel regulator add some power and rpm's? worse gas mileage? thank you all again for helping a newby. ski runs ok just not very exciting to ride and does not turn like my honda. yea I know bigger boat. so take off the OPAS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information