Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help 94 sl750

This is my first time posting and i hope you can help as it seems like there are some very knowledgeable people here . i have a 1994 sl750 that i purchsed several years ago . my problems have all been electrical as i have replaced the electrical box twice . my latest problem is much the same except this time whatever problem occured went past the box and burned a wire or wires all the way to the flywheel . if anyone has any info on what may cause this and how to prevent it in the future please help . as well if anyone has info on where i can purchase a complete wiring harness that also would be appreciated .

Thanks in Advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by flipdog6 View Post
    ...I have a 1994 SL750 that I purchsed several years ago.
    My problems have all been electrical as I have replaced the electrical box twice.

My latest problem is much the same except this time whatever problem occured went past the box and burned a wire or wires all the way to the flywheel.

...what may cause this and how to prevent it in the future please help.
    ...where I can purchase a complete wiring harness?...
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!

How long (running hours) after the last electrical box change did this problem occur?
    Any other information or observations that might help us help you?

My guess is that you will need to replace the electrical stator assembly, which includes the wiring from the flywheel area back to the electrical box. Unless there are other wires burned out, you should not need to replace the rest of the electrical harness.

If only one or two wires are burned, can you determine what colors they are (or were)?
    The wire burn could be caused by a short circuit, or possibly a failed/shorted voltage regulator (LR-??).

Have you downloaded the 1992-1998 Service manual?

I think there is an updated stator kit for your Fuji engine. It would include a newer design CDI igintion module.

What is the part number on your current CDI module?

less than 20 hours between electrical box changes . the only problems i can remember is having to charge the battery if it sat for more than 7 days between rides , i don't recall anything else as it has been a couple of years since this happened . i will have to look to see if i can determine what color the wire/wires were and i will also look for the cdi part # . any idea of what this fix may cost lets say worst case scenario ? can i do it myself ? where should i look for the parts ?

+1
    ...what this fix may cost lets say worst case scenario?
    Can i do it myself ? where should i look for the parts?
    Let's figure out what you need, then you will know what the parts will cost.
    Used parts are often available - look in the Classified section.

Do it yourself? Well, how comfortable are you with working on stuff?

Do a search for Fuji flywheel removal. Some have done it with the engine still in the hull, others prefer to pull the engine out to get at the flywheel.

It will be tight to remove, and working room in the hull is limited. You may have to remove gas and oil tanks, if they are in the way.

If you can post a few clear photos of the engine area and wiring, that might help us help you.
    Confirm the model year by checking the last two digits of the HIN. 94 = 1994

Confirmed the date already ( thanks to a post you made to someone else ) manufacture date of 494 . i am very comfortable working on this ski just limited on knowledge until i found this site . i will have to get the camera out and take some pics so i can post them . i would like to repair this ski but i can't afford to break the bank on it . i do have a question in reference to this repair , some of the people i have spoken to before finding this site said that most of the electrical problems caused on this ski were from the adjustable trim and that i should bypass it when i fix the ski if thats what i choose to do . is there any truth to this or should i not be concerned ?

+1
    ...[others have said that] most of the electrical problems on this SL750 were caused by the adjustable trim and that I should bypass it when I fix the ski if thats what i choose to do.
    Is there any truth to this or should I not be concerned?
    I have not heard that before, but I have not had electric trim on a Fuji engined Polaris.

1994 was still early years for Polaris PWC, so there may be some updates or changes that you might need to maximize reliability. Others will chime in, I am sure.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Flipdog. Most Fuji electrical problems will stem from a poor ground. possibly at the base of the engine plate or the screws inside the elec box. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. I have a theory about the voltage regulator screws loosening. That is an important screw as it also connects all the grounds of every elec circuit on the boat.

Why so many elec system problems? Does your elec box have a good rubber seal? Is water intruding and causing corrosion or rust on the circuit boards?

The wire that shorted going to the flywheel, I'd be willing to bet is the ground wire for the stator. Kind of difficult to swap out, but very doable. You can save alot of $$$ doing it yourself. There's numerous threads on here asking about this. Try the search function for stator replacement.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think we have had a FLIPPER yet J/K
    WELCOME TO THE HULK
    You found the BEST place on earth for ski's and people,you found i heck of a bunch of great guys that do skis,computers,car/boat/sled racing,stereos,graphics,paint,ect,ect
    ok so before we set you up with the 2k watt 15" sub in the recliner lets get the ski up
    are the wires melted -heat no flame(can still tell what color evan after melted)or all blacked out ?
    are they all melted-glued together in a bundle??
    lets see some pics of wires and in the elec.box please
    welcome and have fun
    mattman

I only had time to snap a couple of pics and they are not that good , however i will add more . from what i could see only 1 wire is melted , i cannot tell what color it was but in the pictures it is in the center of the plug . it doesn't appear that any other wires were affected but thats just an assumption . i will have to remove whats left of the wiring harness covering since it was melted in several different places . is it possible that i could replace just the stator and correct this problem or replace the stator and the box together ? i have no way of testing the box since the ski does not have power .

+1
    Process of elimination will tell you what color the burned stator wire is. See attached diagram, and check off each color wire until only the burned one is left.

If the Black wire is indeed the burned wire, then focus on the ground wires throughout the ski. Especially look at the engine block ground. It must be clean, solid, no corrosion.

Make sure the electrical connection from battery negative post to engine block is ZERO ohms. And of course every connection inside the electrical box must be good. While testing with the ohm-meter, wiggle the wires. The reading should not change at all while the wires are moving.

You might want to change out the regulator, just in case it is part of the problem. They are not expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1995 SL750 wiring schematic.jpg 
Views:	2515 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	67686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1995 SL750 wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	937 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	67687  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information