+1

R&D billet hub & pulley

I pulled my supercgarger belt cover to check things out and adjust the belt tension. I noticed grease on the inside of the cover. I pulled the idler pully and it looked like the bearing had begun to go bad and had slung some of the grease out and onto the belt cover. Luckily none got on the belt. I went ahead and bought the R&D heavy duty idler pulley and also the billet supercharger pully hub. It came with the alignment tool. I checked my pulleys and the alignment was ok. Check out the difference between the stock idler pulley and supercharger hub and the ones from R&D. The stock hub is cast and it looks like it wouldn't take much to break it. The R&D idler pulley is larger and looks like it has a better bearing. Since I needed a new idler pulley, I went ahead and also bought the hub. I figure these 2 parts are cheap insurance against a failure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 005.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	849.1 KB 
ID:	67552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 002.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	67553  

+1
    Watch for grease from the new idler pulley, mine slung grease all over everywhere including the belt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Importracer View Post
    Watch for grease from the new idler pulley, mine slung grease all over everywhere including the belt.
    The grease from the stock pulley must have been a recent thing. I pulled the cover last year and it had no grease on it. The pulley had a lot of play in it when it was on the shaft of the adjuster. Seemed like it had a lot more than normal.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    What's the difference in weight between idlers and hubs?

+1
    Jimmy,
    You removed the S/C pulley and didn't upgrade to the 1:1?

Scott

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    What's the difference in weight between idlers and hubs?
    ES,
    I didn't notice any diff in weight between the billet hub and the cast one. The stock hub looks pretty fragile, I'd say the stock idler pully weighs more than the new one. I think its steel and the R&D one is billet aluminum.
    One tip for everyone out there who is tightening the hell outta their supercharger belt. I also bought the Kawasaki belt tension gauge. I just got everything back together and checked my belt tension. Trust me when I tell you, it doesn't take near as many turns on the adjustment bolt as you would think to get the correct belt tension.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BluUltra250x View Post
    Jimmy,
    You removed the S/C pulley and didn't upgrade to the 1:1?

Scott
    Scott,
    I didn't upgrade to a complete pulley kit. I'm still not convinced that it's worth 2 grand. I did the billet hub and heavy duty idler wheel more for getting rid of the weaker stock parts and installing much better parts from R&D. It's not that hard to pull the supercharger pulley so later on if I decide to go with some type of pulley kit, I'll already have the heavy duty drive parts in place.
    Jimmy

I will agree with you Beagle that the pulley belt tension is not just a turn of the wrench till you think its tight. Take it to the dealer, steal their tool, or just get your own tool and check to make sure it about right. Too tight, ruin bearings. To loose and loose boost and power when accelerating.
    Steve

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NJRIVERRIDER View Post
    I will agree with you Beagle that the pulley belt tension is not just a turn of the wrench till you think its tight. Take it to the dealer, steal their tool, or just get your own tool and check to make sure it about right. Too tight, ruin bearings. To loose and loose boost and power when accelerating.
    Steve
    Steve,
    I never checked the tension of my belt untill tonight and I think mine may have been too tight from the factory. The bearing in the idler wheel was on it's way out. From looking at the entire supercharger belt tensioning setup, I think a too tight a belt could destroy an idler wheel bearing in a heartbeat. I think it can also put undo stress on the supercharger wheel,drive hub and internal bearings in the front of the supercharger.
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Steve,
    I think it can also put undo stress on the supercharger wheel,drive hub and internal bearings in the front of the supercharger.
    Jimmy
    ...I better get that checked out then! Great point though...

Thread Information