93 xp vts proplems

I bought this 93 xp as a basketcase about a year ago. Rebuilt the engine and it is running now, but the VTS is not running I put 12V directly to the motor and it works, I also put my electrical tester on the switches and they work ok. Does anyone know how to test the module or do I have to replace it?

+1
    welcome to the forum
    check this out

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html
    Last edited by RX951; 04-14-2008 at 09:31 PM.

+1
    The biggest problem with that year vts is the drive coupler from the motor to the drive,it cracks & wont turn the gear.

I have a module if you need one but I have never seen that style module go bad.

From reading the article I saw that the vts won't run without the engine running, is this true?
    I have not had the engine running long enough to try the vts with it firing.

nothin worse then the dreaded VTS unit from seadoo.i dont know how the 93 system works or if it is the same as my spx...but my 97 spx has been a nightmare.i finnaly just replaced every single part on the whole system,for a lot of $$.new module was $300 alone,another 150 for the gauge and you get the picture...last summer was miserable having to work on it every other day with blowing fuses and sticking and gauge not reading etc.but i swore it would be working flawlessly for the summer 2008..i use it alot for the type of riding i do....right now it is completed and working,just have to water test it for leaks into the hull!!! ...

maybe try ebay and see what u can find for vts parts...however i did this as well and ended up with more used junk that didnt work right.i actually have 3 complete vts systems and the only one that works right is the brand new one.

sorry i dont have any real usful info but i needed to rant about this somemore...lol
    thanks!

I know what you are saying about the problems, I had to take apart the engine three times to get cases sealed right, and I have the same thing in my head. It will be running this summer!!

I live just above Toronto, and I am taking it up to the cottage this weekend to see how it runs in the water, and freeze my ass off at the same time.

cottage?! up north?!...do u have a deep sea diving suit?! u will turn into a ice cube...why dont u just take it to belwood lake.its not very far and u can run it and see if it is working ok. that is where me and my brother ride during the week and occasionally on weekends-if we cant make it to our cottage in sauble.belwood is like a half hour from where we live.i actually live in georgetown not toronto.it will be warmer than up north.in the summer the water in belwood is like 80+ degrees every day....here is a link to there site.u can mapquest it and see how far it would be for you....
    cheers

http://www.grandriver.ca/index/docum...ub1=119&sub2=0

+1
    Had the same issue on my '94 XP. Motor worked, switches worked, but nothing in between.
    If you know how to solder with a little flux and use a relay, you can bypass the module and splice the new ones in-line somewhere.
    Just be sure to enclose them in a very dry case. I used a small ABS gray plastic electrical box from home depot and sealed it closed where the wires go in with GE silicone.
    The basic principle of using relays is so they are each dedicated to controlling and alternating their respective currents to the motor. This is what gives it the forward and reverse action. (Simply changing the position of the power leads with an electronic device)
    Attached is a quick sketch from what I can recall when building the bypass unit. If you follow the colored leads in the image, red as + and green as - ground, it should work. Be sure to cut the wires of the switch and the motor from their association to the box itself. Add a fuse in line if you like to the new relay cluster on the positive side of it's feed from the power source.
    And before all, disconnect the battery and use an OHM meter to discover the main feed wire from the switch as I think there are three. The other two just act as slaves. Neither wire will send current at the same time, so it's failsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by b93xp View Post
    I bought this 93 xp as a basketcase about a year ago. Rebuilt the engine and it is running now, but the VTS is not running I put 12V directly to the motor and it works, I also put my electrical tester on the switches and they work ok. Does anyone know how to test the module or do I have to replace it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RELAY BANK.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	68779  

I would have no problem soldering, as I am an electrician, but it is working now that I tried it while the engine is running, thanks for the info everyone. Oh ya and the water in Washago is very c c c c c cold, the ice isn't off the lake yet, but I still found a place to run it on the river that doesn't freeze.
    Last edited by b93xp; 04-22-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Information