Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    I just go my carb rebuild kit for a 46i, and my 95g spring are just like the 65g. Wound clockwise and part number 730-03034. I thought all 95g were counter clockwise. Mikuni is saying its 95g too, no just something I thought up. Any idea's?
    I've never paid attention as to which direction they are wound. David came up with that observation. Apparently Mikuni uses different vendors and they choose to wind them differently now.

I have all 4 springs in front of me and the 65gm spring is the shortest and they get longer as the gram increases. Am I missing something?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Madness View Post
    I have all 4 springs in front of me and the 65gm spring is the shortest and they get longer as the gram increases. Am I missing something?
    Nope. That makes complete sense to me. But very few people have all 4 at their disposal. Hence the color chart.

Color chart verses pop-off?

I've tried using the color chart. I only did it once and when I put the carbs back on, fuel drained into my cylinder. I have many springs now and go solely by the pop off test. That way, I do not have to pull the carbs as often.

+1
    install and run pop off test

+1
    is there any explanation or step by step procedure on how to do a pop of test?i just rely on my mechanic on this one and his out of town so maybe some pics and explanation would do.

Quote Originally Posted by nikko mercado View Post
    is there any explanation or step by step procedure on how to do a pop of test?i just rely on my mechanic on this one and his out of town so maybe some pics and explanation would do.

1. Clean and rebuild carb.
    2. Figure out what you need your popoff pressure to be.
    3. plug off all fuel inlets and outlets on the carb except for one fuel INLET.
    4. connect your popoff tester to the last Inlet
    5. Remove metering cover on the carb.
    6. Fill the entire metering side of the carb with WD-40 (I fill it all the way up till the top of the metering spring and arm are submerged.
    7. Press the metering lever/spring a couple times to allow WD40 to drain down into the carb till it stops taking it.
    8. Start pumping pressure into the popoff tester
    9. Note what PSI your carb pops or starts fizzing at (the pop will blow WD40 up into your face and into the air so do this somewhere that you don't mind lubricating and USE eye protection!
    10. Repeat at least 2 other times to get a good average

If your popoff is higher than you desire...you can cut the windings off of the bottom of the spring till you lower it to your desired result or just select a different spring if you have them available and repeat the test till you find the right one. OsideBill said trimming was perfectly fine on the springs so I tried it and then checked them after a season of riding and the popoff has not changed. I cut 1/2 of a winding at a time till I got down about 5 windings one time to drop from 70psi to 55psi. Didn't have any springs and needed to get the carbs done quick that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information