problem on 98 1200 triple

I think I have a prob. I started the ski with the pipes on with no water lines hooked up at all and saw some exhaust come out of the water outlet from the riva girdled head. Now wouldn't this mean that there might be a leak in the head? Remember no water lines are hooked up so no exhaust can travel from the water injection on the stingers of the triples up through the pipe and into the water side of the head.
    thanks!

Could be a bad O-ring or a head not torqued properly. It could be a bad gasket if your head doesn't use O-rings. Has the cylinder been decked to assure that it is flat??? Let us know what you find.
    Mike

the black combustion chamber orings get frayed very easy and compromise seal-ive got new extras if you need them

I bought the ski last year looked through the spark holes at the pistons with a scope, check compression' and crank it over and all was good! Never took off the head but now I think I going to. I,'ll let you know what I find! what was the torque settings again on a riva girdled head uses orings. I thought it was like 22 on the domes and 18 on the girdle?
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    I bought the ski last year looked through the spark holes at the pistons with a scope, check compression' and crank it over and all was good! Never took off the head but now I think I going to. I,'ll let you know what I find! what was the torque settings again on a riva girdled head uses orings. I thought it was like 22 on the domes and 18 on the girdle?
    thanks!
    18 and 24

the exhaust dumps into a water box the smoke can back up thru the cooling just like the reason you don't run on the hose when the motor isn't running only opposite Z

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    the exhaust dumps into a water box the smoke can back up thru the cooling just like the reason you don't run on the hose when the motor isn't running only opposite Z
    Yeah but i have no cooling lines on it. i just had the pipes on with no lines and started it.(I had the engine out and put it back in and noticed i had some CDI wires pinched. I fixed them and cranked over the motor.) Long story short took the head off and found no faulty orings. So i just replaced them all because i had the kit and had the head off. I am just thinking that maybe the smoke could have been a little water that vaporized in the head.

just make sure your not fooling yourself by sucking smoke from the exhaust into the cooling by accident and not because of a failure (it's easy to do) Z

Thread Information