+1

need some computer help( wireless router problems)

do wireless routers typically go bad after a certain amount of time? i have had this wireless router for 2 1/2 years and have had a problem but in the last month it has continually kept disconnecting me and i have to go restart it to get connect to it and i just assumed it was the broad band connection not the router.

well i woke up this morning and i was disconnected and no matter what i did i couldn't get the computer to find my router it found a ton of other peoples that live in the apartment complex i do so im guessing its not my wireless card but the router its self. the only way i can get on the internet is to completly bypass the router.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Yes they will go bad. I only use Linksys and I've had 3 go bad. One would not take a firm ware update. One would not assign IP addresses. Everything else worked so I used it as a second wireless access point. The third one would do what you are seeing, the wireless signal would drop in and out. All three were at least 2 years old. I also had a cable modem go bad after 3 years.

Moderated
    there are a numbers of stupid things a wifi router may do at any time it sees fit.

these are theings i have done for my own gear and freinds at times to correct goofy wireless network access.

1: remove your wireless connection profile on your pc and recreate it, this includes re-adding the wpa-psk ( pre shared key) and SSID if in use (etc...)

2.: uninstall the wireless card from your pc and reinstall it, this can all be done via windows device manager and is easy enough to do- you may have to do step one after doing this as it may lose its profile ( please read may as probably will)

3: factory reset your router, if you can login into its management interface you know its working, if it is indeed powered up and working and still does not work wireless wise and if the first two steps dont work it may have corrupted its configuration. Factory restting it may help cofrrect this.

Just do it from scratch and try to it again...

its always a good idea to test with another machine on the network and see if the problem is specific to your machine or its the wireless access point thats playing up ( no point ripping windows apart if its the router thats the problem)

Also as the person answered before sometimes access points just fail, this is because vendors are cheap & nasty and they cut corners to keep costs down , power supplies are generally a part to fail early.

Notes on Secure Wireless Networking:

you should always use the following security features on your wireless networks

Use WPA-PSK encryption, do not use WEP under any circumstances, if your wireless network card does not support at least WPA-PSK, throw it out as its a relic and get one that does. SO you all know why i am saying this, WPA can be cracked very very quickly by almost anyone as its flawed by design. WPA with a randon pre shared key can not be and brute forcing it takes considerably longer ( so long hackers wont bother unless you got something thet want really really bad)

Cloaked/Hidden SSID- this will stop 99% of people being able to see your wireless network in the first place- only people running passive sniffers will be able to see it.

MAC Address Pooling - this lets you manually add the mac address of each client wireless network card into the wiresless routers accepted list of known hosts- basically this tells the system that only systems with a MAC addrsss in that list is allowed to query your network.

these measures are not 100% perfect but they will go far in securing your home network. Nothing is quite as attractive as an open wireless network when it comes to hacking as it gives the person an anonymous jump off point to attack other networks so they can not be traced.

good luck and i hope this helps.
    Last edited by izz0; 04-15-2008 at 07:55 AM.

+1
    well it working again and i dont know what i did i just unplugged it and let it sit for like 20 minutes and its up and running again. im sure by 8 oclock to night it will conk out again though.

its a netgear wireless router.

i use the wpa-psk encryption but the other two things i dont know how to do.

+1
    Dont forget the modem is communicating with the router and it can get screwed up there...

Resetting the modem and router once in a while is typical.

Moderated
    wireless is flaky, end of story.

sure its great when it works but annoying when it does not.

if it keeps dropping out for no apparent reason you may be suffering from interference from another source.

typical sources are cordless phones ( home land line types) that use the same spectrum and other wireless access points using the same channel ( especially with 802.11g). You can check for this using something like net stumbler which is a windows wireless network tool, it will show who else is running in the vicinity as well as their SSID's and what channels they are using, you don't want to use the same channel as someone else.

AP's are supposed to hop channels under certain circumstances but its not flawless.

maybe thats the problem.
    Last edited by izz0; 04-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Try installing the latest firmware. The rest of the securty stuff is overkill for residential use. Run secured but no need to overdo it. There are too many open access points for someone to use yours. WEP was weak so use WPA-PSK (BTW PSK stands for pass key, the other WPA requires a random generated password.) More than likely yours is so old that Netgear doesn't even offer support for you router. Plunk down the $40 and get a new one. I remember when they wer over $100 for a wireless B router and I would get pissed when it would die. If firmware or a new router does not fix it then ask you ISP provider for a new modem.

Try pushing the rest button. They get all "jammed" up after time. This will take everything back to factory default settings.

+1
    ditto on all the above

I read this thread, and didn't see anyone suggest trying a new cable from the router to the puter.

These wires and connectors go bad all the time, especially if the wire is near your feet.

Try a new $4 cable

Thread Information