Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hull coatings

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar

Hull coatings

I did a search, and nothing came up so... Here goes:

I keep my ski in the water for months at a time.. I am in a fresh water lake (Lake Michigan) so I never worry about salt and worry very little about alge.

I do worry about the SMC soaking up water... I am thinking about putting an epoxy barrier on the hull... Like this one. Something that can be burnished smooth.

My questions are, does anybody else keep their ski in the water for long periods? Has anybod tried a barier coat. Did it slow the ski down?

I can't back to back test because although the motor is the same, I am adding the '05 pump, Leo's holeshot and rebuilding the carbs...

What do you guys think?

+1
    You are right to worry about the SMC soaking up water... all fiberglass will. But really, I think all you need to do is make SURE the scratches and dings are repaired. Areas like the pump tunnel, in front of the intake grate, the chines...inspect them. The paint itself should be a good enough barrier for 7x24. Of course expect to pull it out and redo the hull once a year. Also watch for electrolysis, even though you are not in salt water. There are minor effects from fresh water, especially around docks with 120vac.

Thanks Hydro...

One quick questuion for you... How do I combat the electrolysis issue? I do get it, and I am a bit worried about it. I've added a zinc annode, should I ground the ski to something?

I was also hoping that the bottom coat would be just as smooth as paint, and not have to be re-done every year...

Does ANYBODY bottom coat their hull?

SkiOnDaBrain
    Why not just buy a hydroport to keep it on?

Quote Originally Posted by emcewin View Post
    Why not just buy a hydroport to keep it on?
    Can't.. I have a slip where my boat is located and a hydroport (even a hydrolift) won't fit... I can't go up to a larger slip because none are available (unless I go to a 40' slip)

+1
    If the water is shallow enough, you can use one of these. They work great! I used them for years when I used to race.

http://ad-discountperformance.com/in...5&currency=USD

+1
    Here it is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski stand.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	67750  

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    You are right to worry about the SMC soaking up water... all fiberglass will. But really, I think all you need to do is make SURE the scratches and dings are repaired. Areas like the pump tunnel, in front of the intake grate, the chines...inspect them. The paint itself should be a good enough barrier for 7x24. Of course expect to pull it out and redo the hull once a year. Also watch for electrolysis, even though you are not in salt water. There are minor effects from fresh water, especially around docks with 120vac.
    Darn Man That is some cool Info.. You guys never stop AMAZING me with this info... I would have never thought that SMC soaked up water to any noticable amount... I am a Plastic processer and Know most plastics do.. But Never would have guessed that a themal set materail would? Cool stuff Mark!
    Last edited by great lakes gpr 1200; 04-15-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: removed pofanity

+1
    If the plastic is hard, and set, and covered in paint or even the top layer of the plastic itself, there is NO WAY it will soak up an OUNCE of water.

But get some scratches thru the paint.... let some FRP strands hang out... let some repair area paint get scrubbed off... a few cracks in the paint... a few stress cracks in the SMC...

It can and will swell.

Nevermind,
    WHERE is the electrolysis happening on the ski, and is there 120v near your dock?

My boat and ski sit next to each other.. My boat is a crusier so it has 120V connected to it when it is docked. I am getting small white chalky deposits on teh pump parts... I coat my ride plate and intakegrate with a high wear/heat epoxy used for high performance brakes (it does come off though)

The shoe looks good. THe engine looks good. The zinc in the cylinders are still in good shape. It is mostly on the pump and nozzle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information