Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Opinions on SBT

  1. #1
    njrealtor55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Flemington, NJ
    Posts
    156
    +1
    2

    Opinions on SBT

    so what is the consensous on sbt's 4 stroke engines. called them today and it seems almost everything is new.

    $2300 for a new 15F engine w/ 2 year warrenty sounds good if everything is new.

    I am just not sure about thier quality.


  2. #2
    2005 RXT Red08Ultra250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dunedin, FL
    Posts
    908
    They have nice girls in their ads so it must be good.

    They are local to me and I have heard many good things. My friend got a 2 stroke a while back and no problems.

  3. #3
    HopatcongGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,114
    i was trying to find feedback on their 4 strokes also (fx 140 motor) and couldnt find any.

    i call and ask where their new parts are comming from and they (of course) just tell me "its SBT parts"...well I want to know who is making the cranks, where are the bearings comming from , valves, pistons etc. Are they from China, Ukraine, or here in the US?

    ive delt with comapnies using inferior valves (welded stems) in the past...if a stem breaks the motor is done. since i will only use OEM or a one piece valve.
    in the case of the FX 140 motor that spins to 10k...well, anything inferior will not last long IMHO.

    SBT wont answer my questions, I wont buy a 4 stroke from them....2 year warranty or not. what happens on the 25th month when a stem breaks? you spend another 2300 on a motor thats what...and you better hope when the stem breaks that a rod doesnt go with it and throw thru the cases...cause then its another 950 core charge.

    SBT wouldnt admit their was a problem with their early 66v cranks...yet they switch to an OEM bearing manufacturer 2 years after they started to have failures. it doesnt seem like they move fast to make a change when something is no good. it takes multiple failures over a long time before they make a change....at least thats how it seemed. when they do get it right their stuff does last. but with no feedback, its not for me.

    JMHO
    Last edited by HopatcongGPR; 04-16-2008 at 08:04 AM.

  4. #4
    Moderator The Bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wilmette, IL
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by HopatcongGPR View Post
    i was trying to find feedback on their 4 strokes also (fx 140 motor) and couldnt find any.

    i call and ask where their new parts are comming from and they (of course) just tell me "its SBT parts"...well I want to know who is making the cranks, where are the bearings comming from , valves, pistons etc. Are they from China, Ukraine, or here in the US?

    ive delt with comapnies using inferior valves (welded stems) in the past...if a stem breaks the motor is done. since i will only use OEM or a one piece valve.
    in the case of the FX 140 motor that spins to 10k...well, anything inferior will not last long IMHO.

    SBT wont answer my questions, I wont buy a 4 stroke from them....2 year warranty or not. what happens on the 25th month when a stem breaks? you spend another 2300 on a motor thats what...and you better hope when the stem breaks that a rod doesnt go with it and throw thru the cases...cause then its another 950 core charge.

    SBT wouldnt admit their was a problem with their early 66v cranks...yet they switch to an OEM bearing manufacturer 2 years after they started to have failures. it doesnt seem like they move fast to make a change when something is no good. it takes multiple failures over a long time before they make a change....at least thats how it seemed. when they do get it right their stuff does last. but with no feedback, its not for me.

    JMHO
    Well said. I believe it was documented that the parts come from China.

  5. #5
    jonny5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,266
    +1
    5
    A friend bought a T&W crank from them for a 2 stroke.... we have built many motors. Anyway put it in ran it 5 mins maybe and the weld blew apart causing the crank to twist, shreaded the piston....damaged cylinder and head and where very suprised that happened.

    they said they would replace it....in the process right now sending pics.

    But even a crank thats not T&W'ed should not twist, the pin is pressed in...??

    So thats are first experiance that we bought somthing from them for us and not a dealer replacing a customer boat item.

    Not a good first impression.

  6. #6
    axgrider73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by njrealtor55 View Post
    so what is the consensous on sbt's 4 stroke engines. called them today and it seems almost everything is new.

    $2300 for a new 15F engine w/ 2 year warrenty sounds good if everything is new.

    I am just not sure about thier quality.
    I would stay away from them. I have seen first hand their poor quaility and would never buy anything from them.

    The warranty sound great, but if you have a problem, how much ride time are you going to miss while waiting for a repair?

    Just my 2 cents.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    A friend bought a T&W crank from them for a 2 stroke.... we have built many motors. Anyway put it in ran it 5 mins maybe and the weld blew apart causing the crank to twist, shreaded the piston....damaged cylinder and head and where very suprised that happened.

    they said they would replace it....in the process right now sending pics.

    But even a crank thats not T&W'ed should not twist, the pin is pressed in...??

    So thats are first experiance that we bought somthing from them for us and not a dealer replacing a customer boat item.

    Not a good first impression.
    can u post a pic???

  8. #8
    jonny5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    1,266
    +1
    5
    yea give me a couple days...I will post pics

  9. #9
    red rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northridge,California
    Posts
    464
    +1
    11
    Bought 2 motors from them. A 951 and a 800 Sea Doo with no problems. They were very nice and helpful. Nothing bad to say here.

  10. #10
    HopatcongGPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,114
    just put a post up on PWC today...lets see what kind of response comes up there...or if it gets yanked.

    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=165275

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Opinions on SBT head
    By goingfast92 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM
  2. Opinions on SBT top end kit
    By toyterrific in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
  3. Opinion on sbn's SBT input
    By ZMANN in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
  4. Opinions on 4" air intake
    By rxpblast in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
  5. Shibby, 15f opinion on this thread
    By mrchinup in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •