Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 XP 800 starts then stalls.

I bought this from the original owner so I know some of the history on this machine.Bought in 96.Rode it till 01, then stored till now.If i remember correctly it did this before he put it away and never fixed it.I've been reading alot of post on here and most say fuel delivery so I took the carbs off and found alot of build up in the diaphram area so I used carb clean and an air gun blew all the passage ways out replaced the fuel lines on the carb only.Tried to start ...same thing starts up then stalls it will stay running if I choke it then let off then choke again.I do have a carb kit on order and have basic carb rebuilding skills.My question is could this be a diaphram problem?or is this a little deeper?Any advice would be great!I'm new to this site. please
    Last edited by skirtchaser; 04-15-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Did you remove the covers on the other side of the carbs and clean the internal fuel filter screens? These covers face the fuel tank when installed on the engine.

And...welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 04-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Yes I did, and they were clean???Thanks for the welcome, alot of what i've done have come from your posts.

carbs..

I am doing the same thing tomorrow. I was told to disassemble the carbs soak everything (except rubber gaskets) in cleaner for 24 hours the use cleaner to blow out all the passages. ~Kenny

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skirtchaser View Post
    alot of what i've done have come from your posts.
    Good idea to butter up RQ . Welcome.

Anything else you can tell us? Compression? has the rotory valve cover been off? New carb gaskets? have you removed the rave valves to inspect the piston/cyl?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prosportsman View Post
    I am doing the same thing tomorrow. I was told to disassemble the carbs soak everything (except rubber gaskets) in cleaner for 24 hours the use cleaner to blow out all the passages. ~Kenny
    Here is a video on rebuilding the carbs. http://www.sbtontheweb.com/video/ep12tiphigh.wmv

+1

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Take off the "on" fuel line from the fuel tank pickup and run it straight into the fuel pump on the front carb. This will confirm that the fuel selector switch is bad. There is a piece of rubber that gets dislodged and cuts off fuel when in normal on position. Most of the time it will run fine on reserve. You can try that too. But since it's sat so long, eliminating it completely would be what I would try.

Also disassemble the fuel pump on the front carb, and make sure the mica check valves are still in place. The rubber deteriorates and the valve falls off.

Thanks for the kind words. Going to have my 96 running again real soon...

Thanks for reply's guy's, you to steach. So there isnt a common thing that fails or gets clogged other than the fuel selector internal filter?I pulled the return line and ran it breifly and it seemed like there was plenty of fuel flow.As far as the compreeion it's 160 a side, good spark bone stock.If the diaphram was faulty woundn't that prevent the right amount of fuel to enter the system?Thats what I think it is but out of all the threads that I've read nobody has said that this might be a viable cause.

video

thanks Steach on the video. it will surely help !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information