Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rebuilding carbs....

I am taking my carbs apart tomorrow for the first time tomorrow to soak them and clean out at the nooks and crannies. Have done many Holley and Edelbrock carbs, but never a two stroke engine. Any suggestions? What can I expect? Is it much different?

The hardest part is taking them off the engine, after that it's a piece of cake.

I hide one of my wife's baking pan is the garage and works great catching anything that might drop

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    If you need carb kits contact Bill O'neil at PWCToday.com, he is the best 2 stroke Sea Doo guru I've seen yet. The boards suck over there unless you ride a Superjet or a SRX

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    I just got done with the carbs on my xp and gtx, they are very easy to rebuild. one thing you are going to need to get a pop-off pressure gauge to test the pop off pressure. other than that a piece of cake.
    another thing you should do is change out all the fuel lines on the ski if it has the grey fuel lines, if your ski still has the grey tempo lines and you don't change them out you are going to waste your time on the rebuilds...
    those fuel lines degrade over time and will clog your fuel system up.

carbs..

thanks alot guys. carbs are soaking over night and I will reassemble them tomorrow. let you know how it went. ~Kenny

grey fuel lines...

about the grey fuel lines...couldnt you just put a fuel line filter just before the carbs to catch any debris from deteriorating fuel lines or particles etc? instead of replacing the whole fuel line assembly?
    just a thought.i have these grey lines on my spx,but i cant find anything wrong with them. could i concievably do the fuel filter idea,until i get around to replacing the complete lines?

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    prosportsman: hows the rebuild coming? I finally got a popoff tester built adn had to change out the springs on mine but so far all is good.

levonhelmit: no! the lines turn to sh!t on the inside not the outside where you can see it. they get all gummy and will clog up your filters probably at the worst time like when your out on the lake by yourself. and I'll bet right now the filters inside your carbs are already gummed up.and if you use external filters they will clog up too.
    don't be cheap and skimp on the fuel lines just replace them...trust me your talking to the king of cheap and I replaced them on my GTX within the first month of owning it.

hi ,thanks for the response. i realize that it is on the inside of the fuel lines. i pulled them off at different locations to check the insides and they look fine. i also cleaned the filters inside the carbs as well as the basket filter near the front of the system. everything looks good,ski runs mint.my idea is if i put a see through filter inline near the carbs i can visually see how the system is doing and clean the filter as needed in minutes.its not being cheap.its being lazy!!

incase i do want to replace the fuel lines.what size do i get?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by levonhelmet View Post
    hi ,thanks for the response. i realize that it is on the inside of the fuel lines. i pulled them off at different locations to check the insides and they look fine. i also cleaned the filters inside the carbs as well as the basket filter near the front of the system. everything looks good,ski runs mint.my idea is if i put a see through filter inline near the carbs i can visually see how the system is doing and clean the filter as needed in minutes.its not being cheap.its being lazy!!
    Take a fuel line off, preferrably right before the carbs. Slip a 1/8" blade screwdriver up into the line about 2-3" and scrape the inside of the fuel line. When you pull it out there will be sticky green or brown gunk, and this is what clogs the filters. This is how you check them..."looking" doesn't do anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information