Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

How bad have you wiped out?

Well today just riding around the islands(towards the powerplant) i see this kawasaki STX-15F racing a yamaha and he blew him away no problem and I was riding toward the dam watching them when that kawasaki pulls up beside me. I thought ok sure I'll race I havent had a race all day. So we are going and I'm a little bit ahead through all this rough chop when I just nailed this huge wake and the first thing I remember was that the ski went kinda vert and when I landed i must of been leaning foward, next thing I know I'm tumbling in the water after falling off at about 60mph. Man that was an experience, after swimming bout 20ft to my ski I felt fine till I pulled myself up and stood up and all my joints hurt. I'm really glad it wasnt too bad of a wip out only thing that still is a little sore is a few joints on left hand, but other than that im ok. I guess we end up wipping out sooner or later and learning our limits. I can't wait to get the riva sponsons for my ski and hopefully I can talk my dad into letting me get the O.P.A.S block off kit.

+1
    I've been fairly lucky I guess. No wipes on the RXP thus far. Which means the next outing I will be skipping across the water at 72 MPH or so... I did almost bust coming out of a superman at Mudbug last weekend. My left foot caught and I damn near rolled off at 72-73 MPH. That woulda really sucked.

Let's see. I've run aground in the creeks a few times or run into low hanging trees. That always stings.

I fell off the STXR going about 50 or so back when I first got it and landed on the back of my neck first. It popped and hurt on and off for about a year.

Once at about 63 MPH in a turn on my GPR in a creek. Skip, skip, log. Luckily it was in the winter and I had lots of neoprene on to cushion the impact.

Once about 55 MPH on the STX DI while doing superman. Again, luckily I had neoprene on and end up just sliding across the top of the water for a while before going into the cart wheels.

One of my faves was my first plug chop going towards the shore I killed it too late and ended up barefooting next to the ski trying to stop it. And then being pulled up the bank about 25 feet or so. Fortunately, it was like a tip of an island, so I just rode up one side and down the other back into the water We must have laughed for 10 minutes

Probably a few others, but those are the memorable ones.

only two wipe out's so far. Both of which I blame on opas.

First one was wot. Chine walk caught me off guard when I was riding in some heavy chop, ski went left, I went right. I ended up about 150 yards away from my ski by the time I stopped skipping across the water. Luckily no injury

Second one was in some REALLY rough water. I don't remember exactly how the situation progressed, except I remember feeling the opas grab at about 50, and next thing I know the front end was plowing into a huge wave. Ski stopped, I didn't. That one hurt.

While it wasn't on the RXP......

I was riding down in the FL Keys a few years back when a bunch of us from SDN got together for New Year's. A boat came out of the no wake zone and just went WOT...right in front of me. I had nowhere to go but up

Unfortunately I hit the wake at a slight angle and knew I was I was going to lose it so I tried to bail. Only I wasn't on my XPL (it had blown up the day before) I was on GP's GTX and wasn't used to the additional length and landed on the back edge and fractured my tailbone as I tumbled into the water.

I had a much greater respect for life vests after that because I was so out of it I had no idea what was going on, let alone which way was up or how to swim...

If you've never fractured your tailbone - it F'n hurts! :P

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    only two wipe out's so far. Both of which I blame on opas.

First one was wot. Chine walk caught me off guard when I was riding in some heavy chop, ski went left, I went right. I ended up about 150 yards away from my ski by the time I stopped skipping across the water. Luckily no injury
    yeah I noticed that my ski went left and I went right so I guess it was the opas. Guess I better some save money and get the block offs. Today I woke up kinda sore lol. My right arm has a lil bump, my left ribs sorta hurt when u poke em and my left hand is still hurting, but I guess the wipe out could of been a lot worse. I'm sure by the weekend I'll be out there again at wide open jumping wakes .

i took a spill on my old ski. was doin about 55 and turned suddenly. opas hooked up and the ski went one way and i went the other. i did about 5 cart-wheels(spelling?) across the top of the water before i landed face first in the water. got a standing ovation(spelling again?) from the people on shore. kinda hurt though.

If I've learned nothing else from this thread it is that I am going to take the OPAS off of my ski. No one else rides it and it seems like more trouble than it helps.....

+1
    OPAS can be downright dangerous!

+1
    45 mph in rough boat chop lake water, 2 to 3 foot waves coming from all directions. I go air borne on my 03 gtx-sc, as i go to land i hit another wave causing the ski to dip to the right. I went flying off to the right and bang my hip into the foot rail and roll across the lake at 45 mph, the ski goes off to the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day2__medium__175.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	225  

Thanks for the visual there Mike. Yech!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information