Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

help with my new summer job

Hello guys,

I talked to the marina General Manager after school, and the marina has just been bought by a big national company that I guess owns marinas throughout the country. So unfortunately I cannot work there unless I am 16. Although I asked if I could maybe do something where the people that live out of town could call in advance, and I could go and prep their boat like take the cover off, put it in the water ( put the lift down ) clean off the seats... etc. etc. etc. put ice in the cooler whatever and then just leave a trash bag, and I could just come later and get their trash.. so they can just get there put the people on the car and leave. He was very interested in this idea, and said he would have stolen the idea but he liked me enough so he said he will allow me to like make sheets with prices, and what I will do and he will pass them out, he said they are so busy he just can't do it, and will let me..

so I was wondering first off..

price wise I was thinking like doing it buy hour for cleaning the boat.

Then a different price to prep the boat for them to come, and then little packages..

I was thinking like $25 per hour for me to clean their boat if they just wanted it to be cleaned. That is me going there, power washing, cleaning inside and out, waxing, and buffing... cleaning inside being like sides, windows, carpet ( vacuum ) etc. etc.

Then I have no clue what to do for prepping the boat before they come.. should I also just do the 25 per hour?

then say for $ XX I will do the basic package which is take the cover off, and rinse the boat off.

Or you can have me and put out a list of things I can do with prices next to them adding onto the base price.

so be like Basic Rinse and take the cover off, wipe seats off, rinse windows off: $ XX

Vacuum:
    Scrub sides:
    Clean Seats with cleaner:
    Clean Windows with Cleaner:
    Chrome Cleaner/rejuvenator:
    Fill Cooler up with Beverage: ( cost includes ice, and amount of drink they want)

and think of some others..

then when I leave get like cozies (is that how you spell them) ( things you put drinks in )

or some other little dorky thing and get my company name on it..

Kale's Boat Cleaning and Restoration

or whatever it is on the cozie and leave it with a typed letter signed by me on their captains seat..

letter saying like thank you for the business. For comments, email or call at:

and then before hand I was thinking when the people call, I could go over like what products I use to clean their boats, so my a$$ will be covered, and get them to sign something so say I use some cleaner on a seat and they claim that I stained their seat with this cleaner.. I can say well I called you and told you exactly what I use to clean the boats and which part, and you signed this piece of paper saying that we talked about it...

How does this sound? Sorry this is kind of a lot.

I really want to go out and work for some more money, and most importantly I want people when I'm done to get on their boat and be like WOW I am definitely calling this kid again this is phenomenal work!

tell me your guys thoughts, tips, words of wisdom..

also I am just going to talk to the general manager of what he thinks would be best for products to clean the boats..

Maybe I could make like Kale's Boat Cleaning T-shirts that say Sponsored by Greenhulk.net

ok, sorry I just looked this is like a full page of writing, hopefully you guys give me some tips, and or advice.. sorry for the many words!

thanks

-hallpass

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I would say just give a flat fee for each service and include a service charge like $5 for each foot over 22'

Go like
    $10 to uncover, lower, rince and ice.
    Add $10 for scrubbing and soap
    add $5 for power wash
    add $15 for wax

Just suggestions only you know what your time is worth and what people will pay. You can always change prices depending on demand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    I would say just give a flat fee for each service and include a service charge like $5 for each foot over 22'

Go like
    $10 to uncover, lower, rince and ice.
    Add $10 for scrubbing and soap
    add $5 for power wash
    add $15 for wax

Just suggestions only you know what your time is worth and what people will pay. You can always change prices depending on demand.
    yeah, I just really want to get like a good solid price.. because say I change the price or make it lower or whatever then it's like hey I just paid last week 30 bucks more or whatever you know..

yeah, I need something for bigger boats because I know there are some ridiculously huge house boats that I have seen out there..

by the way I just wanted to add that I am kind of interested in business and selling or being a dealer of some thing powersports or whatever.. and I think this would be kind of a first time nice way to see if I can handle the ropes..

Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    yeah, I just really want to get like a good solid price.. because say I change the price or make it lower or whatever then it's like hey I just paid last week 30 bucks more or whatever you know..

yeah, I need something for bigger boats because I know there are some ridiculously huge house boats that I have seen out there..

by the way I just wanted to add that I am kind of interested in business and selling or being a dealer of some thing powersports or whatever.. and I think this would be kind of a first time nice way to see if I can handle the ropes..
    Nobody compains when prices drop, it will be more like $35? I paid $30 last week, and you tell him well I had 5 boats last week now I have 15 I don't want to get over run

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    excellent idea but if you get hurt on the property you could be seen as a liability.... especially if they are corporate owned, i'd rethink the idea just a tad bit and check the local labor laws in your area to see if you really need to be 16 to work there or they just have a corporate policy about being 16 and working there

+1
    ok ok

keep bringin them comments!! i wanna have some prices soon to send out

idea

I think the idea is a great idea, especially for a young chap like yourself. You will make the best money doing your own gig for the time being. Many guys wives will probably urge them to hire you because you are a youngman trying to make a few extra bucks.

As for pricing, I would not do hourly either. I think it comes off sounding/looking more expensive and not really giving the customers a solid number.

A flat rate for each service rendered would be more appealing to the customer. I charge 120 dollars to do a basic detail on a car. Wash, wax, wheel, tires, soap mats, windows, dash.....For a full detail I charge 150 and the extra stuff is simple like a three step wax, small scratch removal, wheel wells etc....

I think to wash, wax and prep a boat you should charge somehwere around 100 dollars. I am not sure how much higher but around that price. That is hard work and it sure saves them much time.

I think the idea is good and wish you the best of luck. And you should indeed check on the liability deal.

Good luck!!!!!

Sean

+1
    Hallpass,
    I think it's a great idea but I hate to bust your bubble on this one. If this marina is corporate owned and you get hurt on their property, guess who is liable? The marina and the corporation who ownes it. The manager must not know too much about liability or workmans comp laws. Their workmans comp insurance carrier would have their ass in a sling if an underage non employee got hurt on their property while doing work on someones boat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Hallpass,
    I think it's a great idea but I hate to bust your bubble on this one. If this marina is corporate owned and you get hurt on their property, guess who is liable? The marina and the corporation who ownes it. The manager must not know too much about liability or workmans comp laws. Their workmans comp insurance carrier would have their ass in a sling if an underage non employee got hurt on their property while doing work on someones boat.
    Um check that; is he or isnt he an employee... He may be able to work as a contractor. The big corp would be still liable in court, but about as liable as the teenage kid who slipped on the dock. (which may be acceptable to them.) Just something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Hallpass,
    I think he falls more under independant contractor status, he is not supplied or employed by the marina. Like a painter working in an apartment building he doesn't necessarily work for the apartment owner but does work in the building for the renters. The building or marina owner in this case is not liable unless the premisis is unsafe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information