Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: F15 Assumptions

F15 Assumptions

Here are my assumptions for the F15 motor, from info I have & reading between the lines. I'm sure Shawn could clarify some/most of these.

Same motor with different crank - Longer stroke
    Change in fuel delivery - larger single body, instead of 4
    Same IHI Turbo - limited efficiency 210HP
    Lower boost - 10lb, due to turbo limitations.

Any other assumptions or information?

Hope you're not right; suspect that you are. We'll probably have to bail on that turbo to get this to run...

Hope Shawn weighs in...

Other hopeful assumptions of mine:

-Decent gas mileage
    -Good rough water capability

+1
    Fingers crossed for a different turbo.
    From the look of where they are heading I would say good rough water handling.
    I think they might do something like yami and lighten up the hull a tad.
    I'm thinking completly different motor, only because they took so long to come out with this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    Fingers crossed for a different turbo.
    From the look of where they are heading I would say good rough water handling.
    I think they might do something like yami and lighten up the hull a tad.
    I'm thinking completly different motor, only because they took so long to come out with this thing.
    Agreed. I'm hoping that the turbo is new, but they've just dialed down the boost for release. It could be like the SHO, where it seems clear that Yamaha wants to release the motor with lots of room in it for future model year growth. Releasing a ski with low boost also allows them to test the reliability of the motor in production form - that's a conservative approach I would expect from Honda or Yamaha.

Depending on how fast it is, they might also be keeping the boost low to avoid running afoul of liability issues and the coast guard agreement. Honda is likely to play it very safe - unlike Seadoo, they have a lot deeper pockets, should they be seen to be "endangering" riders by releasing the fastest ski out there.

On the motor, I'm hoping that the addition of the balancer means that it's new. Honda is a motor builder, so they should be able to pull it off. It would be a bummer if it's just stroked (but entirely plausible).

The hull is lighter than the Kawi by far - the fact that the ski is slightly larger, but weighs about 70 lbs less says something for that. Unfortunately it doesn't have the Kawi's storage. I've actually been wondering if the two points are connected - would Honda's approach of filling half the nose with foam allow them to make a lighter overall ski? Not sure if that's totally absurd...

I am certain about the longer stroke. Think kawi 12F & 15F, difference is longer stroke. Both strong motors. I'm sure there has been some tweaking, as with the fuel delivery.

I think Shawn has to be quiet about the motor until the release, Pity.

We will have to wait & see.

+1
    single injector throttle body? I dont believe that.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Yes Dave its true. I prefer the multi T-body also.

The block is stroked and modified but the top end is the same (close) The lower end on the stock 12x series (if you run High HP like I do has to be modified) and the 15x has some of this taking care of in the new release.

You will need a new turbo if you want the big power.

Jet pump is 155mm but has some changes, The hull is very nice, at least the preproduction models are by far the best Honda has ever offered.

Shawn

I was waiting for Nitro to shed some light on this whole deal. Thanks!

There's no replacement for displacement so that's nice to see, but seems like they're being lazy. No real new development in quite a while. At least nothing that many have already figured out (Nitro, etc.)

On the same token the ski should be pretty quick and handle well and give Honda a real cruiser ski. Not my cup of tea, but it will add some fans to the Honda watercraft line and that can only help all Honda owners. (More sales, more Honda development and support.)

Thanks for the info Nitro.

Trevor

Hey Shawn, do you already have one? Just waiting for them to be released so you can tell us more about it. Based on what you know about the 15, what do you think are attainable horse power numbers and speed. I promise I won't tell anyone.

I'll echo that - thanks much Nitro.

*Any* thoughts on rough water handling of the new hull? All that's been said is basically: nice, smooth, spash resistant, better. It looks similiar enough to the Kawi that it should be good, but I just can't find anything meaty on that aspect of the ski. I know skis are supposed to get in reviewers hands shortly, so I guess I may just have to wait.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information