Thread: Electric PWC

Electric PWC

So has anyone had the realization yet that if they want the fastest PWC just for drag racing to throw in a huge ELECTRIC motor with a set of LIPO packs and a speed controller? You could probably build one in a couple of days, just mount the motor to the PTO or direct to the drive shaft and add a big ass speed controller.
    Did you guys a while back see that work truck to a 1/4 mile run in the low 8's I think it was, it was on the discovery channel? It had so much power it ripped the tranny to shreds!
    Food for thought if you have money to burn!

well the new Tesla roadster is fully electric and goes 0-60 in around 3 secs . i guess like you don't have to wait for the motor to gain power too long for it to get that fast. and i think it costs around $100K

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    So has anyone had the realization yet that if they want the fastest PWC just for drag racing to throw in a huge ELECTRIC motor with a set of LIPO packs and a speed controller? You could probably build one in a couple of days, just mount the motor to the PTO or direct to the drive shaft and add a big ass speed controller.
    Did you guys a while back see that work truck to a 1/4 mile run in the low 8's I think it was, it was on the discovery channel? It had so much power it ripped the tranny to shreds!
    Food for thought if you have money to burn!
    It didnt rip a tranny to shreds just a belt, then a axel key. Both things that, break from lots of horsepower and are big weak points.

+1
    the weight of the batteries is what would probably kill ya

batteries, size of the motor windings required as well as mounting circuit protection etc would all equal a huge pain in the rear, to make a motor to start direct on line under load and have a decent amount of torque it'd need to be of a decent size and most likely 3 phases which needs the boat would also need a transformer. 2 much weight as well as the prospect of a short means you'd be riding a potential explosion of copper between your pants. 2 scary for me but go for it

The technology is already here but a big challenge would be water protection for the li-po/ion cells. They are pretty volatile when impacted or shorted out.

But as for power.. this dude crammed 500 HP into a bike. I would guess for the price of a turbo ski you could make a very decent electric one. I wouldn't mind stopping at the lake house every hour or two if it only cost 50 cents to fill up

He used 186 lbs of batteries.

http://www.killacycle.com/

Thread Information