Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

96sltx carbs upgrade

will be replacing pistons with wsm units,more than likely non boost port ones,has 009 cylinders.has water routing like late model 1200's except water manifold has restrictions for pto and cen cyl and t-stat.seems to me with the non boost port pistons to set it up as close as possible to a 99 slx.open the water maniold restrictions to the same size as the mag(hot seat recommends doing this for 92 domes)remove t-stat,pop-off,and spring.jet one size richer on mains and mids than stock 99 slx.opinions???

thanks doug for doing some research for me

well i wanna be nice to the top end for the break in period ,

but wanna change the jets as soon as the 2nd tank is empty ,

im currently running the stock 96 jetting which is for late model 38 mm

which is 142 , 142 , 138 ,

which will run i gotta take a look at the jets 140 , 138 , 132 , i think is the jet i have but have not installed ,

gonna run 68 mid pilots and im thinking a 32 or 34 would be good

im useing carbon tech reeds , going premix , and installing a jetworks valve ,

any of these gonna effect the tuneing and should be held back till after the break in ?

im sorry i have jets 140 140 , 135

+1
    Are you going to use the 40mm carbs from the SLX?

yes , i was looking at the water bar would i need to drill that hole out any larger ?

im holding off on get high compression domes till about 10 hrs on the new top end ,

with that port not being on the side is this gonna affect bearing life ?

+1

My Nickels Worth

break it in with the 38mm carbs.premix will lean out idle and low jetting to a small degree.after break in set it up like i described whether you do 92 domes or not is my opinion.with all the competite tuners here no one else has any input???????

ya i know no body wants you to burn down a piston , but ill start out with the fat jeting just to be safe ,

38 mm carbs are long gone ,

+1

funny

its funny how fast some will say triple pipe it to someone who's never tuned a single pipe ski,when i first did the pro's triples the advice i got from some very very highly reputable sources was so bad it was an absolute joke,i don't claim my jetting well prevent anything,but at least its something to digest and it is what i'd run on it based on my real world experiences with all the exstensive keihen carb tuning i've done,so if all the cussing and money i've spent chasing expertise can't be used to at least pass on correct info to others in need then i'd be less of a man and a person to watch someone experience the same grief for no reason than i simple kept my mouth shut,seems very contradictory to what these forums are really all about doesn't it???

+1
    I've never done any cooling mods,so I couldn't answer that exactly. In my opinion,with t-stat removed,you'll get plenty of flow,I would leave it stock for the engine.

The hole in the side of piston,mostly cooled the piston dome,richer setting should help. Polaris used pistons without the hole on newer stuff,using the same wrist pin bearings,I personally would not worry about that.

Long time back Wetherby posted jet sizes for 40mm carbs(with accell pump for SLX's) and 009 cylinders. M-140, C-140,P-135 (highs) mid jet-42 , low jet 65

On my worn 97 SL1050 with 009 cyl's,I started with those recommended jets.
    I was a liitle lean on highs,to be safe I went to 142 Mag-cen,138 PTO.
    It had a flat/dead spot around 24-2800 rpm, it would bogg trying to keep that RPM. I switched to 52 mid jets,It would sputter/misfire taking off.I backed down to 50 on mid jets,runs great.It will have real small sputter when cold,perfect once warmed up,this spring I will use 48 mid jets.
    I was always happy with the 65 low jets,I beleive I had 1 1/8 turn on the low screw.
    I've had several people with experience ride it,comment that it runs great/pretty fast.

I'm not an expert,but I think a little larger jets /even if it causes a minor sputter is safer,a good place to start from,without being lean.
    Last edited by casey67; 04-17-2008 at 10:47 AM.

+1

jetting

sounds like what i reccommended except did you mean 42 to 40 and you'll try 38's,not 52 to 50 and try 48's????anything above 2500 the pump pressure pushes the pop off open and the t-stat ain't doin jack anymore at all.t-stat only restricts water at idle and puts the temp around 140.once you crack the throttle the pressure bypasses it thats why 99 up doesn't have it except for the fi stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information