Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Cool 2001 RXDI peaks at 51mph and 6100rpm

    I recently bought a 2001 RXDI with 70hrs on it. It ran great for the first few runs but now seems to have been limited to 6100rpms and about 51mph max. The impeller and wear ring have both been examined and no excessive wear is present. I replaced the pump oil at this time as well. I've put in fresh plugs. The SeaDoo starts great and runs great until about 2/3 throttle where it seems to hold back the final rpms and peak at 51mph. Any ideas guys and gals? Thank you in advance!!

    BTW, I've heard Water Regulator and possible Valve issues? Could someone elaborate if this is the possible issue?

    Thanks gang!!


  2. #2
    I have the exact same ski with about 230 hours on it.

    Have you checked the RAVE valves yet?

    I know that my ski will become sluggish when the RAVE valves are slow to open. The loss of top speed is only 5 MPH though, not as much as you're experiencing.

    The DI is a great engine but it seems like they are very temperamental and super expensive to fix.

    Good luck and please post what you find once you get the ski fixed.

  3. #3
    Well, after rethinking the wheel here a bit and keeping it simple I started looking at the RAVE valves. I have a 98 GTX as well and had a valve go in it so I figured I'd look. Sure enough, the front-most valve was stuck closed and had sheered the plastic "plunger" right off the rod end. It obveously was not going to open like this. I have cleaned up the entire RAVE system (Valves, seats, actuator banks, etc. with parts cleaner) and am waiting for gaskets from SBT and a new valve actuator from SEADOO. This should fix the issues but I will keep you posted.

    Thanks for the help!!

  4. #4

    Talking Thanks Mason for the feedback. Good call!!

    The valves were the issue best I can tell so far. Waiting for parts now.

    Thanks again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Lake View Post
    I have the exact same ski with about 230 hours on it.

    Have you checked the RAVE valves yet?

    I know that my ski will become sluggish when the RAVE valves are slow to open. The loss of top speed is only 5 MPH though, not as much as you're experiencing.

    The DI is a great engine but it seems like they are very temperamental and super expensive to fix.

    Good luck and please post what you find once you get the ski fixed.

  5. #5
    Definitely sounds like you found the problem.

    I've been very happy with my '01 RX-DI - it's been a fantastic ski that has given me no problems at all. Good balance of power, speed and fuel economy.

    That said, I've read many horror stories about how difficult/expensive they are to fix once they have problems. There are two people over on sea-doo.net that are having problems with their DIs - in one case the technician wired in a toggle switch to get the ski to run.

    Good luck with your RX-DI - I hope that it runs awesome again once the RAVE valves have been fixed.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    227
    Sounds a bit like the problem I was having. Did your ski bog down or feel like it was down on power at all?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Sounds a bit like the problem I was having. Did your ski bog down or feel like it was down on power at all?
    The first time I had an issue with a stuck RAVE valve was when I took my ski down to Shasta Lake. The ski still ran well but it was sluggish and down on top end speed. I'd guess that it was running at 85 - 90% of full power.

    I thought the issue was due to the higher altitude at Shasta.

    After about 15 minutes of riding the RAVE valve fully opened and the ski was back to full power. The ski definitely felt faster once the RAVE valves were functioning correctly again.

    Good luck with your ski.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Sounds a bit like the problem I was having. Did your ski bog down or feel like it was down on power at all?

    I just noticed that you have an '03 DI - have you had the fuel pump changed yet?

    Based on what I've read it appears that BRP had a large problem with fuel pumps on the '02 and '03 DIs. Sadly, the part is super expensive. There was a post on sea-doo.net from one owner that indicated that it took a fuel pump to finally fix an '02 DI. He had spent a lot of time/money chasing problems before installing the fuel pump.

    Good luck with your repairs.

  9. #9

    No bog but lacked top-end performance

    Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Sounds a bit like the problem I was having. Did your ski bog down or feel like it was down on power at all?
    No bogging down from the ski but it seemed to lose additional throttle response from 6000rpm and above. Turns out the RAVE Valves were stuck in the down (closed) position. That would Doo it!! )

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Lake View Post
    The first time I had an issue with a stuck RAVE valve was when I took my ski down to Shasta Lake. The ski still ran well but it was sluggish and down on top end speed. I'd guess that it was running at 85 - 90% of full power.

    I thought the issue was due to the higher altitude at Shasta.

    After about 15 minutes of riding the RAVE valve fully opened and the ski was back to full power. The ski definitely felt faster once the RAVE valves were functioning correctly again.

    Good luck with your ski.
    Thanks Mason Lake. I'm hoping this fixes it. I've had allot of fun on this one coming from a 98XPL with a blown engine. The SBT replacement ran great though but gas useage was terrible. The DI is great for that reason alone but when you add chokeless starts, better throttle response, and stability you realize why this thing won so many awards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2001 XLT 1200 bogs and sometimes dies at WOT and turns?
    By x2nervisx in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. question on throttle bodies at WOT and IDLE
    By MJE in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. 2001 GTI 717 accelerator pump and carb question.
    By oneeyedjack in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 08:20 AM
  4. Installing impeller... at work and need ASAP help
    By 240witSR in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 08:07 AM
  5. 2001 RXDI Woes
    By Ajax in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •