Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Car lemon law

Car lemon law

Has anyone gone through the process of having the manufacturer replace a vehicle under the lemon laws and actually been successful? I'm looking for experience in California, but anywhere in the US is OK too.

+1
    My step mom has. She is in the final stages of the process. PM me a reminder and I will follow up with her on the process...

+1
    yep,, beat GM without a lawyer.... my wife can be a handfull ... drove the car for a year and got back all the money...

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    yep,, beat GM without a lawyer.... my wife can be a handfull ... drove the car for a year and got back all the money...
    They didn't deduct your mileage? The way California law is written I should get the full purchase plus tax/title/loan fees/ect minus 8K in "usage"

+1
    Got every penny back and still drove(ran the piss out of it ) it another 4 months after judgment (looking for new car ) we went to arbitration and they went for a test drive with us and showed how bad it pulled after 7 times in the shop then the lawyer for GM looked like a dumbass after the wife was done with her. just make sure to record all the times it goes to the shop and what was said..

+1
    The lemon law will be state-specific, so check with someone in CA. The one in Texas changed a few years ago which made it a little tougher to make a claim. Good luck.

+1
    Lemon Law, if your car has been in the shop 7 times, I call that Mechanic Job Security. Sorry for anyone that is an auto mechanic, I just don't trust mechanics.

CA Lemon Law

Here is the CA statute. There are some technicalities but its a valuable consumer law.

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...california.htm

+1
    Yes i lemon lawed a 99 z28.. broke 10 rear ends,3 oil pumps, rear lights melted,power window motors went,ttops leaked. car was sick though. dynoed at 352rwhp and ran 12.8 at 110 with a broken posi ,,, miles were deducted and street legal slicks nittos were removed before each rear end man i miss that car..

+1
    Lurker each state differs in its lemon laws. I have been in the car business for about 15 years. In tennessee, the car has to be in the shop 3 times for the same problem in a 30 day period. If there is any signs of abuse or anything thats been altered, modified. Your chances are about nill. You have to document everything, and i mean everything. Each case is investigated, checked and rechecked. Take for instance, you take it in for a engine noise.. the car has some aftermarket oil filter on it or an air filter or anything thats not factory.... They will kick the claim and possibily.. if there is enough proof.. get you for attempting to defraud the shop keeper or the manufactor. In short make sure there is nothing aftermarket on the car, and make sure there is a problem and not just something thats normal with the vehicle. I see alot of that.. what we call buyers remorse. People come in with what they perceve to be a problem and there is no problem. We start looking at certian things and come to find out they bought a car they can't afford and try to get the dealer to buy it back, sometimes creating a problem, we fix it and they do it again and again. Each technican documents what they find and at times will take pictures if it looks like they have messed with the car. I am not saying you would do anything like that... I am saying that your claim is going to be investigated to the hilt. Just keep a log of everytime you go in, who you talk to, how long the car was there, the technicans notes, copies of repair orders and all that crap. keep your I's dotted and your T's crossed, Its not going to happen over night, and you can't stop making the payments ,,, thats another way they can get out of buying it back

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information