Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Break In Anomoly, Ideas?

I broke in my wifes gp800 today on a newly rebuilt engine. After a good warmup and 30 minutes at throttle variation to 4000 rpms, I shut it off and let it cool for about 35 minutes.
    After the cool down, I started it up and barely pressed the throttle, when it acted like it wanted to shut down. I backed off and idled another minute
    then raised the rpm's again. I didn't see the problem again so I ran through the motions without incident, varying rpm's up to 50% throttle for 30-40 minutes.
    Shut her down again and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Started it up and immediately upon hitting the throttle, it acted like it wanted to shutdown, and did. I'm guessing the two hickups were at about 2500-3000 rpms. Anyway, I started it up (with no problem) and didn't see the problem again while varying the throttle up to about 90% for 35 minutes.
    After that run, I purposely shut it down, and restarted after a 5 minute break to see if I could make it fail. I couldn't. It rode great.
    The screws are set on the fat side (lows and highs)

I just got back in so haven't had a chance to dig. Any ideas why it would stumble immediately after the cool down cycle and at the same rpm's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by howestek View Post
    I broke in my wifes gp800 today on a newly rebuilt engine. After a good warmup and 30 minutes at throttle variation to 4000 rpms, I shut it off and let it cool for about 35 minutes.
    After the cool down, I started it up and barely pressed the throttle, when it acted like it wanted to shut down. I backed off and idled another minute
    then raised the rpm's again. I didn't see the problem again so I ran through the motions without incident, varying rpm's up to 50% throttle for 30-40 minutes.
    Shut her down again and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Started it up and immediately upon hitting the throttle, it acted like it wanted to shutdown, and did. I'm guessing the two hickups were at about 2500-3000 rpms. Anyway, I started it up (with no problem) and didn't see the problem again while varying the throttle up to about 90% for 35 minutes.
    After that run, I purposely shut it down, and restarted after a 5 minute break to see if I could make it fail. I couldn't. It rode great.
    The screws are set on the fat side (lows and highs)

I just got back in so haven't had a chance to dig. Any ideas why it would stumble immediately after the cool down cycle and at the same rpm's?
    If it is real rich on a cold engine it will stumble and become less noticeable as it warms up...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by james k View Post
    If it is real rich on a cold engine it will stumble and become less noticeable as it warms up...
    Agreed, and are you running more oil for break in? If so, this will make the problem worse. It should be fine. Long live the GP!

Thanks guys. It is very rich and about 1:24 to 1:28 on the oil (couldn't make my mind up)

And yes, LONG LIVE THE GP!

+1
    10-4, throw some new plugs in it and it will be fine, IMO!

+1
    Running more oil for break in will make it run leaner not richer. It actually sounds like it's running lean to me, if it's giving a massive bog at the hit of the throttle when it's cold. If you still have the choke hooked up, close it slightly and run back through the steps. If it disappears, you know the answer.

+1
    when i had a gp1200 it did something similar after sitting on the beach for a while the cause was in the fuel tank
    on startup it would want to die for the first 50 feet or so then it would be fine

to stop it hapening i used to take the fuel tank cap off to relive the presure before starting the ski ,
    it wouldn't do it if i did that

kev

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Running more oil for break in will make it run leaner not richer. It actually sounds like it's running lean to me, if it's giving a massive bog at the hit of the throttle when it's cold. If you still have the choke hooked up, close it slightly and run back through the steps. If it disappears, you know the answer.
    Wow. I hope its not that. . I pressure tested the engine after rebuild and the screws are way, way fat. I'll do the test you suggested and see if there is a difference. This is one of things that will take forever to find since it may, or may not reappear. It would only happen one time, on first throttle hit, on a cool engine. Gone on second throttle hit.

+1
    Fullboogie has a point that extra oil on the premix does lean it back some but i know you mentioned that you had the carbs way fat and that it only does it when its cold which led me to believe it was too rich because a lean engine will only fade as heat builds in the engine to become worse not get better..However,give his method a try and see what happens being he is a veteran and has worked on many ski's..

+1
    Think about it guys - if it only does it when it's cold, it's not running too fat. Did you check popoff pressure???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information