Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Fried Ground wire Polaris SLT 750

Yesterday I had the CDI box open and was charging the battery at the same time. I think that the wires shorted out when the charger clips hit the black wire coming out of the box. It melted it all the way to the other end. I was able to start it after that but ended up cutting the wire to trace it to the source. At this point I am assuming that the black wire was a ground to the magneto. I tried to follow the harness but it tucks under the motor so thats where I am. Am I correct in assuming that that is where it goes? What is the easiest way to replace the wire or getting to the other end of it without having to take everything off? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_longboard View Post
    Yesterday I had the CDI box open and was charging the battery at the same time.

I think that the wires shorted out when the charger clips hit the black wire coming out of the box. It melted it all the way to the other end.

I was able to start it after that but ended up cutting the wire to trace it to the source.
    At this point I am assuming that the black wire was a ground to the magneto.
    I tried to follow the harness but it tucks under the motor so thats where I am. Am I correct in assuming that that is where it goes?
    What is the easiest way to replace the wire or getting to the other end of it without having to take everything off?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the Hulk!

If you haven't already, download the 1992-1998 Polaris Service manual. Links are found in the Polaris FAQ section, I think.

Another member recently had a burned black wire from the electrical stator (magneto).

The harness from the stator is a one piece cable right from the coils all the way to the electrical box. It exits the stator assembly near the side of the flywheel casing at the front of the motor (exhaust side, I think).

It will be challenging to replace the black wire right up to the stator without moving some components out of the way. The wire may be burned right into the inside of the stator assembly, but you won't be able to tell until you can get a look at it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Jeff.
    If the wire is inside the harness going to the front of the engine, it is the stator ground. To do it correctly, you need to gain access to the stator, and/or replace it.

Best chance is to remove the gas tank and access the front of the engine through the hood.

I tried downloading the manual but it wasn't working. I opened it a couple of days ago and it was working then. I should have saved it.

It doesn't sound like it will a quick thing.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    its gonna take u some time..... !!!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Is there an easier way to get the fly wheel off? I think that I have stripped out the splines on all of them using the puller. I will try tapping the threads out, but this SUCKS!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are a number of forum threads regarding removing the flywheel.

It usually is REALLY tight on there, and it takes a good quality flywheel puller, plus torch heat on the flywheel around the shaft area, AND a big torque on the central flywheel puller bolt. When it lets go, it can sound like a gun shot, and the flywheel can go flying, so be prepared.

In addition to all this, it sometimes takes a good whack with a big hammer on the puller bolt head to get it to release.

If the engine is still in the hull, it can be done in there. Others prefer to pull the engine out, then bolt it down to something solid.

If you have stripped some of the holes in the flywheel, then you might be better off with the engine out of the hull, where you can get at it better.

Keep in mind that the stator coils are just behind the flywheel. If you screw a bolt or thread tap too far in, the coils will be damaged.

Good luck!

my god..! what a night mare.....!................

Welcome to Greenhulk................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information