+1

Thumbs up My first Polaris..might need some help

Haven't had the time to test ride, however picked up a 1999 SLX 1050 this eve. Did a compression test on the 3 cylinders and they all read just under 120 if I recall. In very good condition for the year and the engine compartment is immaculately clean and new looking. Seat in perfect condition as well as the rest of the craft that reads 140 hours.

However the trim doesn't move on the back and the gauge shows as if it is? Need to trouble shoot this with some help.
    I see the big fuel tank and wonder....does it drink that much? LoL
    I don't know what to expect yet from it and may not even be out for another two weeks yet as I don't have time right now.

And those sponsons look big compared to my XP. Is it really grabby in the turns?

*parts?
    I changed a few minor things on my XP like grate and impeller, but wonder if there is anything that is considered a good light mod for this ski?
    If anyone can offer some opinion, it would be more than welcomed.
    And yes, there will soon be a Polaris line of GFX .)

Thank you.
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slx.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	68058  

+1
    I bought the same ski last summer! Mine was also in great lookign shape.It has an r and d intake grate and bat-wing ride plate. Those two additions werent too expensive and the intake grate really helped with hookup, ride plate made a noticeable difference in the waves compared to my stock sl900 which skips around alot more with the stock plate.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME OVER TO THE LAND OF THE BASTARD CHILDREN.
    I let the SLX guys fill you in on the normal mods. Everytime I open my mouth on the 96 and up skis,I find I'm not up to date on what they came with already.I'd say for rough water the R&D scoop grate is nice to have.

Glad to hear you'll be doing the graphixs for the Polaris

+1
    Gas wise, my SLTX 1050 has a 15 gallon tank and at full throttle, that's good for 45 miles....3 mpg....nice motor but a bit of a gas hog in my opinion.

+1
    I beleive the guage simply reads from the switch,not actual trim motor movement. Make sure power and ground toggle/switch at the motor.They use a small motor with a bunch of gears inside the aluminum block,has a dowel pin that is spring loaded on the under side(causes a click noise when travels too far) you could reach it from the back,just above the jet pump.

Mostly,they get some corosion on the motor bearings,I've had good luck taking them apart,WD-40 to free up.Take your time disassembling the gears,it's pretty easy.

+1
    In general, Polaris watercraft have the best mpg in the industry...and the fi's can't be beat. 1996SLTX...full throttle and getting 45 miles is actually not to bad...how does that compare to your Seadoo's?
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 04-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Thread Information