Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery talk...time for a new one

Well, I got two years out of my Yuasa. Its dead. I'm trying to decide if I should just get a regular lead/acid from Wally World for $50, or pony up and get a gel cell or AGM type. Anybody have any input? For a while I was going to get an Odyssey, but I've heard some bad stuff lately. It has to be a YB16CLB size...I'd love to fit a bigger one in there, but I'm not going through the headache with those dang pipes in there.

I know I'll probably upset some here, but I've been using the Wally World batteries for years in my skis and bikes, with no problems. Heck for $41-$42 I can change them every year. That wont even buy a tank of gas!

I've found that's not necessary, as I usually get 2-3 years out of one, and then just replace them because of age, even though they are still doing the job.

Other's experience may vary. Just check the date code when buying, to make sure it's fresh stock.

I get 3 summers outta my Walmart batteries and i don't even keep them on a tender

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    AGM all the way. Made a huge difference in my cranking power.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonwells View Post
    AGM all the way. Made a huge difference in my cranking power.

yes it does x2 here

X3 on the AGM!

Eliminates the chance of battery acid in the hull, or motor parts, in the event of a flip....

+1
    Without a doubt the AGM. I'm with some of the others, the cranking power is second to none and they can sit unattended to for quite some time.
    They add some weight to the boat but I can't tell you how many times an acid type battery has corroded a damn plate and click, click, click.

+1
    I always at a minimum disconnect the negative cable before I call it a day. Lead acid batteries have to be kept topped off to last the longest. If I know the battery won't be used for a few weeks, then I take it out and put it on the trickly charger...anything to keep the sulfates off the plates.

+1
    You will only know whether you choice is a good one when your in the water ,it is getting late ,all your mates have left and you told them that you will see them later that night ,you hit the start and it won't.At that point you will be deciding if you have made the right choice.
    I prefer the best and the biggest .This allows for some excess cranking if you have a problem and also allows you much longer riding time if your charging system lets you down during the day .
    Now make your decision ...

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You will only know whether you choice is a good one when your in the water ,it is getting late ,all your mates have left and you told them that you will see them later that night ,you hit the start and it won't.At that point you will be deciding if you have made the right choice.
    I prefer the best and the biggest .This allows for some excess cranking if you have a problem and also allows you much longer riding time if your charging system lets you down during the day .
    Now make your decision ...

Bernie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information