Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rule Bildge Problem

Ok so I installed the Rule pump that everyone has at first with a Rule switch. the first day the switch went to sh*t. The whole thing looked like I pulled it off of the Titanic. Completly corroded out and even the mechanism inside the switch would not work. I went out and got a new switch this time a west marine brand that gets grounded out with a built in fuse. now the pump works in the manual position and in the auto position but when you turn it off it gradualy turns back on till it is at full speed. I dont know if maybe the pump os causing the switch problems or not. Has anyone else ever head of this. Maybe a short in the pump os causing the switches to go bad right away??

I'm waiting to hear back from Rule on the matter but figured I'd ask around here too. Any Ideas??

Do you have the one that automatically turns itself on and off because some of them are designed to do this every 2 1/2 minutes, even if there is no water present. This is the reason for a 3 way switch. Make sure the bilge is compatible with the switch.

Yes it is the one that automatically cycles every 2 minutes or so. That all works fine in when switched to auto it turns on for a sec and shuts down assuming there is no water down there. I just don't know why I would be going through switches. Although this current switch does still work in auto and manual mode just not in the off position.........

This is the switch....
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

It has a 20 amp rating and the pump draws 1.9 amps so I guess thats not the problem. Not to mention the original switch that I used is one of the reccomended accessories on the west marin site lol.

That`s funny, my rule auto PWC model 500GPH pump cycles every 20 secs

The 2 wire pumps only need a on/off switch...
    3 wire pumps need the 3-way switch...
    ...PR...

This one is a three wire. One for the ground, one for manual on and one for the auto mode.

Every 20 secs? I didn't know they made one that did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforce
    Every 20 secs? I didn't know they made one that did that.
    Pale and me have the same ones, and it should not be cycling that frequently, it is supposed to be every 2 minutes or so...Hmmm, maybe these pumps don't like our electrical systems....

I use the rule-mate 500 and love it. Turns on when about an inch and half which is plenty of room. Also using a water sensor alarm.

My rule-mate has already turned on when I left the plugs out in the ski overnight

Turns on with the lanyard in the auto mode and turns off with lanyard. I have a switch in the glove box from radio shack that has a protection cover. I used a double throw single action. So when the cover is protecting the switch it is in auto mode. If I open the cover and flip the switch it is in manual bilge. This way it is always auto when I have the lanyard hooked up.
    You can see my relay in the picture which hooks up to the 3A fuse. Then all my accessories run straight off the battery. Each accessorie has an individual fuse. Then I have a battery monitor next to my lanyard that tells me if my battery is getting low. I think I'm covered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lanyard_751.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	4120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relay_892.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	4121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5205_635.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	4122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5207_204.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	4123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilge_action_514.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	4124  

When are ya going to install the Halon fire extinguishing system? only J/King...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    When are ya going to install the Halon fire extinguishing system? only J/King...PR...
    I would if I was worried about the electrical I have my wires good and wrapped. They are marine wires with the shrink tube. Then duck tape wrapped around the fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    I would if I was worried about the electrical I have my wires good and wrapped. They are marine wires with the shrink tube. Then duck tape wrapped around the fuses.
    ...PR...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information