Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile RXP-X or FX SHO? I'M NEW!

I am new to jet skis, I have rode a couple times and fell in love.

Now, I am faced with a problem.

Just like my cars, I want the best at times.

The RXP-X is faster I know, but by a lot?
    The FX SHO is made by Yamaha, which is a reliable brand?

EDITED: BTW, I know they are different types of skis.. but anyone care to explain to me how?
    THANKS

This is my first ski btw.
    I really need help, I don't need either for any certain purpose.

I just want a fun reliable ski, but if I push it, it will hold..?

Thanks you guys.

well considering you posted this on the sea-doo, and yamaha side, i bet your still gonna be confused on which one to buy, your gonna get two storys...

its up to YOU!

there both gonna be FUN! FAST! and reliable if given the proper care...

so really, which one do you see yourself riding??...........thats the one you should get.

welcome to GH !

+1
    I think you really need to decide what kind of riding you are going to be doing, cruising? racing? ???

What water conditions do you primarily ride in ?

Lots of questions to ask yourself. These are 2 totally different boats and really in 2 different catagories.

Well.
    The RXP-X looks like the one I might get, just reliability and the old SC washers were breaking on the old RXP's.

Also, there seems to be an exhaust clamp getting loose and little holes in the hull that leave water in the motor area?

Are these issues easily taken care of? can I use a zip tie for the exhaust clamp?

I heard sikaleak(sp?) works well with the holes. and if there are any other issues that I can figure out of the RXP-X I would like to know. THANKS.

You guys are helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
    Also, there seems to be an exhaust clamp getting loose and little holes in the hull that leave water in the motor area?

Are these issues easily taken care of? can I use a zip tie for the exhaust clamp?

I heard sikaleak(sp?) works well with the holes. and if there are any other issues that I can figure out of the RXP-X I would like to know. THANKS.

!
    holes in the hull? any issues are easily taken care of if you know what your looking at... its better to find the leak and fix it properly then to put that leak stuff on which just masks the problem.... its like unplugging the check engine light in your car and not fixing anything,, since you cant see the warning light that must mean its fixed right? WRONG.

what did you hear about a loose exhaust hose? i doubt the boat would come without a mounting point for the exhaust...i wouldnt use a zip-tie next to any exhaust, chances are it will just melt and not hold anything up..

do you want a motor thats modded from the factory, or a motor with one more cylinder and tons of room to grow?

+1
    The RXP-X is faster I know, but by a lot?

As I understand it Seadoo did some things to intentionally slow the ski down, it is easy to undo this (replace the intake grate for example) and then yes the RXP-X is much faster. As far as I can tell for a stock ski nothing is even close to the RXP-X.

You're comparing apples and oranges, first you need to decide if you want a 2 seater or a 3 seater.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    As long as you remember 1 very important thing in that statement !
    YES ITS FAST , BUT ONLY ON GLASS NOT IN OPEN ROUGH WATER,
    YES IT TURNS MAGIC , ONLY WHEN WATER IS CALM ENOUGH TO TURN THAT SHARP,

I know it 's not a X ski but I just sold my 07 rxp215 .
    it was the worst rough water ski I have ever owned ( they didn't design it for rough water at all )

Before that I had 4 2 years a FX160HO cruiser loved it ,
    best all round boat money can buy in every aspect as a package.
    MAGIC rough water ride and still stay quiet dry
    good storage
    best economy on fuel
    most reliable brand ever built
    still fun in the waves , but be realistic it is still a big boat
    great cruiser

before that 05 gpr1300r
    wot can I say but shit loads of fun
    fuel consumption was good when you compared it to fun factor
    never breakdown ( joys of a yamaha)

Simply ride both skiis in the conditions you will be mainly riding and the better ski 4 you will be apparant straihjt away.

just remember just because you get there 1st,
    doesnt mean its the best ski

I now own a 250x, all I will say is at this point in time I luv it
    best ski I have ever owned in the rough water ( ocean riding)

ponies are thirsty but shut up and just feed them and all is good.
    storage like no other has,
    small mods make it heaps better.( mine is a 07,)
    08 are better out of the box ( that normal 1st year improvements)

just my 2cents

Warren

My Thoughts

I've ridden 2000/1 SeaDoos for most of the time I've been riding. Rode a 2005 GTX 4-tec and they are a little better in rough water, but not much..

In glass or mild chop (4-8"), the SeaDoos are great and they jump well too... I can't imagine the RXP(T)-T being any different and based on the specs in Watercraftworld, the acceleration in those conditions for wake jumping is incredible. I digress.

However, every we just cruise around on the SeaDoos or going to and from an area to play, we are always hitting large rolling waves from other boats... or rough chop >12", the SeaDoo will beat the living crap out of you in these settings...

Two things going for the Yamaha that made me go with the SHO. First, the Yamaha solves my issue with the rough cruising or transitional riding that the SeaDoo had issues with.. I have not ridden a SHO, but have ridden an HO. Second, the SHO also has incredible acceleration for hitting boat wakes and jumping (just as good as the RXT-T)... I think I will loose a little hot-dogging capability with the SHO (spins, etc..) but the 2005 GTX I rode was not a real hot dogger either compared to the 2001 I rode..

For exacting specs, my guess is this is what we will see:

0-30.. RXT-T is 0.1-0.2 quicker
    30-50 RXT-T is 0.1-0.3 quicker
    WOT RXT-T is 2-5 mph quicker
    Fuel: RXT-T cost $400+ in fuel/year (SHO does not required Prem)

Fuel basis: 3-4 tanks a week x 22-28 weeks x difference in Prem - Regular 0.20-0.35 (tank = 18 gals)

56-72 gals x 22-28 x 0.20-0.35 = $246 - $705 .... so lets say 400 avg/year.....

Reliability/TCO/Uptime....too soon to tell about the reliability of the SHO in the absence of empirical data, but I'm betting the Yamaha Cost of Ownership over a two year period will be less than the SeaDoo.. Especially the way I ride... I have no intention of ever modding my ski, so this is crucial..

So in summary, for me, the Yamaha offers a better overall ride, while loosing a little on the hot doggin area. The speed and acceleration between the two is unremarkable and negligible, in my opinion, unless you are buying a jet ski simply go around and go head to head with every jet ski you see... Yes, the RXT-T will give you bragging rights, but lets face it, that only goes so far and what is the difference between 65ish and 68ish.. Not much, especially when you are competing with all the other crazies out there.. It just gets freaking dangerous at those speeds with other boats around...

Why Yamaha for me.... smoother ride cruising and cheaper TCO... everything else is even as far as I'm concerned...

Either way you go, you will have a ton of fun and will be paying through the nose.....you know why..... BECAUSE YOU ARE A BOAT OWNER..

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpayne View Post
    I've ridden 2000/1 SeaDoos for most of the time I've been riding. Rode a 2005 GTX 4-tec and they are a little better in rough water, but not much..

In glass or mild chop (4-8"), the SeaDoos are great and they jump well too... I can't imagine the RXP(T)-T being any different and based on the specs in Watercraftworld, the acceleration in those conditions for wake jumping is incredible. I digress.

However, every we just cruise around on the SeaDoos or going to and from an area to play, we are always hitting large rolling waves from other boats... or rough chop >12", the SeaDoo will beat the living crap out of you in these settings...

Two things going for the Yamaha that made me go with the SHO. First, the Yamaha solves my issue with the rough cruising or transitional riding that the SeaDoo had issues with.. I have not ridden a SHO, but have ridden an HO. Second, the SHO also has incredible acceleration for hitting boat wakes and jumping (just as good as the RXT-T)... I think I will loose a little hot-dogging capability with the SHO (spins, etc..) but the 2005 GTX I rode was not a real hot dogger either compared to the 2001 I rode..

For exacting specs, my guess is this is what we will see:

0-30.. RXT-T is 0.1-0.2 quicker
    30-50 RXT-T is 0.1-0.3 quicker
    WOT RXT-T is 2-5 mph quicker
    Fuel: RXT-T cost $400+ in fuel/year (SHO does not required Prem)

Fuel basis: 3-4 tanks a week x 22-28 weeks x difference in Prem - Regular 0.20-0.35 (tank = 18 gals)

56-72 gals x 22-28 x 0.20-0.35 = $246 - $705 .... so lets say 400 avg/year.....

Reliability/TCO/Uptime....too soon to tell about the reliability of the SHO in the absence of empirical data, but I'm betting the Yamaha Cost of Ownership over a two year period will be less than the SeaDoo.. Especially the way I ride... I have no intention of ever modding my ski, so this is crucial..

So in summary, for me, the Yamaha offers a better overall ride, while loosing a little on the hot doggin area. The speed and acceleration between the two is unremarkable and negligible, in my opinion, unless you are buying a jet ski simply go around and go head to head with every jet ski you see... Yes, the RXT-T will give you bragging rights, but lets face it, that only goes so far and what is the difference between 65ish and 68ish.. Not much, especially when you are competing with all the other crazies out there.. It just gets freaking dangerous at those speeds with other boats around...

Why Yamaha for me.... smoother ride cruising and cheaper TCO... everything else is even as far as I'm concerned...

Either way you go, you will have a ton of fun and will be paying through the nose.....you know why..... BECAUSE YOU ARE A BOAT OWNER..

Hope this helps...

welcome to the HULK!

just to let you know its RXT-X and RXP-X not T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information