Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

More Issues with my 04 RXP

Ok. In a ongoing issue with my RXP here is what happened today.

I was only pushing 7500 RPMS, 7.3# of Boost, Didn't GPS the speed, but the Dreamo made its way up to 70 slowly.

No cavitation, and no leaking. Oil level right in the middle.

HOWEVER. My engine is still smoking. I ran it for about an hour and half tonight. Slight smoke the whole time. I don't know where this freaking smoke is coming from. I have had this issue for about 2 hours of ride time now. Towards the end of my ride today I stuck my head in the engine compartment while riding and it sounded like water boiling.

The last time my ski ran good was in the winter. Back then I had a basic stage 1. Since then the ski was winterized and I added the following:
    Stage 2 wheel, I had 42's but I went back to the stock injectors, XS IC, Solid Front Mount, Gutted WB, Flared JPipe, Thru Hull, XBO's, 15/20, R&D Steering nozzle, Venturi with Adjustable rings. Right now I have the 81mm Ring On.

Where are my RPM's going and where is this smoke or steam or whatever it is coming from? The smoke doesn't have any smell to it.

Is this your first time riding this season?, did it run fine last season? if so I would say you intercooler sprung a leak during the winter from the cold temps in NJ..........otherwise your head gasket could be leaking causing coolant to go into the combustion chamber(s)....or your piston ring(s) could be shot which would cause a major loss in performance and smoke from oil passing by the rings into the combustion chamber.........do you have any fault codes?

>>>>>See below

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    Is this your first time riding this season?, did it run fine last season? if so I would say you intercooler sprung a leak during the winter from the cold temps in NJ..........otherwise your head gasket could be leaking causing coolant to go into the combustion chamber(s)....or your piston ring(s) could be shot which would cause a major loss in performance and smoke from oil passing by the rings into the combustion chamber.........do you have any fault codes?

I have tried to ride this thing like 3-4 times already. It ran fine last summer. What is the easiest way to check the IC for leaks? IC didn't have any water in it during the winter. I just installed it and waited for it to warm up to test it. as for the smoke in those situations.... where would it come from. The smoke isn't really coming from one spot on my ski. No codes.

there are many ways to test the intercooler......I am guessing it is a stock intercooler from reading your mod list........if it was leaking it would cause water to mix with air in the intake manifold and steamclean your engine causing a whitish smoke (steam) this would also hender performance........there is more water pressure coming from the pump when you are on the throttle letting more water into the intake......if it is severley leaking it will cause the engine to run rough at higher rpms...........

there are many ways to test the intercooler......I am guessing it is a stock intercooler from reading your mod list........if it was leaking it would cause water to mix with air in the intake manifold and steamclean your engine causing a whitish smoke (steam) this would also hender performance........there is more water pressure coming from the pump when you are on the throttle letting more water into the intake......if it is severley leaking it will cause the engine to run rough at higher rpms...........

Getting somewhere now.

It sounds like it might be leaking, but it is an aftermark external XS intercooler. This sounds like the smoke I am getting. It isnt coming from one singular spot and has no smell to it. I will have to check the IC.

However, Not running rough at high RPM, but I do see more steam after a WOT run.

pull off the hose(pipe) from the intercooler to the throttle body......go ride it with the seat off..........the max rpms will be around 6000 but you can see if water is spraying out of the intercooler.....after the ride look into the outlet air passage in the intercooler ans see if there is any water

pull off the hose(pipe) from the intercooler to the throttle body......go ride it with the seat off..........the max rpms will be around 6000 but you can see if water is spraying out of the intercooler.....after the ride look into the outlet air passage in the intercooler ans see if there is any water

Alright. So disconect at the TB. Ride it and look for water spraying out. Then as one final check, with the ski off look down the same tube for water.

I think I got it.

What about doing this on the trailer?

you need the water to be coming from the pump while riding to duplicate real world water pressure.........also running it on the hose has the water flow running in reverse from the Jpipe/waterbox to exhaust manifold then to the intercooler.....it would possibly still leak but maybe not enough to see easily.........maybe you have great water pressure on tap and it will show up

When I rev it a few times on the hose I can get it to steam, but I try not too.

This is why I asked about it.

If I take the IC completely out and run the hose onto it and block off the other side I should be able to tell if it is leaking...... Right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information