Thread: PTO boot on 720

PTO boot on 720

Hi, I'm hoping someone else has encountered this problem. I just rebuilt the entire drive line of my 97 GTS with 720 motor. The rubber boot that covers the connection between the drive shaft and the PTO rear flywheel has been replaced and I bought new clamps, one small and one large, ordered the correct parts from the dealer. The rear small clamp is snug, but when I try to put on the larger front clamp, it is very loose. I know that it is not supposed to be tight, because it has some play before, but the original clamp broke off and I am trying to use all new parts. When the original broke, I tried to use a regular hose clamp instead of these crazy special clamps, and it shattered off the first time I rode. I used a zip tie, and the rubber boot ended up shredding right off.

please help!!! Is it OK to ride without this little rubber boot for a while as long as I keep it greased well through the zerk fitting? I will put on a new boot when I have time to pull the pump, but should I just leave the front clamp off, is it possible that the clamp I have is wrong? There is only one notch, it is not adjustable, and it seems extremely loose, as if it will just slide off when I ride it. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Last edited by JonUF02; 04-18-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add image

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It takes a special tool to install both clamps properly. You might possibly be able to do the front (large) clamp with needle nose pliers. The rear...just snugly zip tie. In the future the large clamp never has to be removed, when pulling the shaft just snip the zip tie.

You do need to snatch the pump and install the new boot before running it. Did you remember the rubber driveshaft stops too?

And welcome to the board!

RQ

boot clamps

OK, luckily a local dealer has the boot in stock! I will put it on ASAP. I was able to get both on and off with needle nose pliers and some effort. I am also buying another new clamp for the larger front one, It's possible they gave me the wrong one last time. Hopefully it is snug enough to hold this time. We'll see...

The larger clamp takes a tool that looks like pliers, but has a small tip on each end, facing the other. How to clamp it is grab the two loops sticking up on the clamp, and pop the two open slots over this loop. It takes two clicks to get it tight if I remember right. I think all the PTO boots use the same size clamp too.

I have the tool...if you need more info I may be able to shoot a pic of the clamp with tool on it.

I talked to the mechanic when I picked up the parts, he showed me how far it is supposed to clamp, but I didn't think those small sharp points would actually hold on the slots. I'm going to try it with various pliers I have already. If I can't get it, then I'll go looking for something that will work. I hate that Sea Doo uses a bunch of expensive specialty tools

+1
    Those clamps are called OETIKER Clamps

The large clamp doesn't look or attach like an OETIKER clamp. It also takes a different special tool to attach.

The small one is it though!

OK, so I got them both on VERY tight with some big "extra leverage" special needle-nose pliers I picked up @ Advance auto for $11. We'll see if it holds up...

+1
    Zipties work fine been dooing it for years,the metal clamp screwed up your first boot not the ziptie.

Thread Information