Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damaged supercharger rotors!!

Well as some of you may know i have been losing some rpm's lately and have tried to diagnose my problem from all aspects.

I think i have found out what caused me to lose the rpms.

One of the rotors on the supercharger has suffered damage, from either saltwater corrosion or sucking some sort of debris i guess.

I also found some salt contamination on the external body of the supercharger, which led me to think that i might have had a leaky gasket somwhere around the exhaust joints.

The thing is i only lost around 400 rpms, boost was not lost! i verified that with an autometer boost guage and i was running 13- 14psi with the r&d 1-1 pulley.

I hope that replacing the supercharger, together with the leaky gaskets brings back the lost rpms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	619.4 KB 
ID:	68350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	68352  

+1
    It looks to me that all you lost was the outer material. It is hard to see if the rotor was damaged or if just the material was lost.

Lets hope you have found the problem

Jason

TurboAdBad news...no warranty here in UAE for for all ultras...Do you thinks the upgrade supercharged pulley might contributed in that damage?

+1
    Losing 400 RPM and maintaining the same boost? hmm... I dont think its a supercharger problem. I guess it would be a mechanical one, did you check the Pump?! wear ring? maybe your impeller is not turning freely. hows your the cylinder pressure? maybe your ring pistons are worn out.

Since you have the supercharger already opened their is no harm in trying in a new one and I hope it will bring back your rpms.

+1
    BTW, do you see any chance of match porting the supercharger with the intake? I am sure if their is and you match the ports you will be gaining some boost and a couple of RPM's

JWilson It looks to me that all you lost was the outer material. It is hard to see if the rotor was damaged or if just the material was lost.

Lets hope you have found the problem
    Yup only the outer material is gone but that itself isnt a good thing, i could be losing a bit of power from it.

sportman TurboAdBad news...no warranty here in UAE for for all ultras...Do you thinks the upgrade supercharged pulley might contributed in that damage?

Having no warranty sux i know, wish we had a true dealer here. I dont think the upgraded pulley caused this it looks like corrosion or damage from something that got sucked up.

BadGP1300 Losing 400 RPM and maintaining the same boost? hmm... I dont think its a supercharger problem. I guess it would be a mechanical one, did you check the Pump?! wear ring? maybe your impeller is not turning freely. hows your the cylinder pressure? maybe your ring pistons are worn out.

Since you have the supercharger already opened their is no harm in trying in a new one and I hope it will bring back your rpms. BTW, do you see any chance of match porting the supercharger with the intake? I am sure if their is and you match the ports you will be gaining some boost and a couple of RPM's
    I did a compression check, results were that the compression was fine.

Dissassembled the pump and checked the impellor for damage, checked the clearance of the impellor to the housing. The impellor was not damaged and the clearance was within spec of the service manual.

As for porting, i have found some stuff that could be done however i dont have that much time left gotta put all the stuff back in and do with this broken supercharger for the race next weekend. After the race ill definately do some shining there.

what i would be more worried about is where did the material that came off of the rotors go? Into the motor/cylinders?

Nop no chance, intercooler is between the supercharger and engine so if anything it will end up there. I checked the intercooler and it was fine, i even pressure tested it for any leaks just to make sure.

I'm talking about little fine pieces of material. I think it would pass right through the intercooler into the motor. Sorta like fine metal shavings.

+1
    I exploded a turbo impelllar and the intercooler stopped everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information