Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my 2005 R-12x cavitate since new

i purchased a 2005 in Sept. of 2007, it was brand new. It has been cavitating since new. Was told by the dealer that I should use the trim lever when excellerating hard, this helped a little, but my two friends just purchased two 2005 in March and they have not had this problem. We have been out together this month on them so I have been able to compare how the three run. Mine cavitates for the first 2 seconds and rpm hit rev limiter. Their skis pop right out of the water without hitting rev limiter. The top speeds of all three skis are the same. Can someone help me with any suggestions of what the problem could be. I want to get fixed before the season starts. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

2 things to check, the rear of the intake grate must has sufficient sealant to prevent air leaking into the pump tunnel causing cavitation.
    the other thing to check is impellor to wear ring clearance this must be as close as possible otherwise cavitation will be present.
    replace or rebuild the impellor if the gap is too large.

thanks for the info the clearance looks ok but the back side of the prop has a chip in it also could it be sucking air though the bushing or boot on the out put shaft????? the only way to ck the intake grate is to remove it and reseal right????

yes i would do it anyway honda only use silicone to seal them, remove it and clean all the areas use a good sealant and reseal it.

i broke down and order a macboost prop and chip. should be here friday if iam going to remove it to inspect it i might as well make it better---faster ---stronger then before ---lof----- any thing to ck on that out put shaft before i put the pump back on f y i oring on pump looks ok
    what stops the water or air from come through the shaft

+1
    Hi, Yes I got your order. Most likely you will have it Thursday.

Dont glue your pump to the support plate. There is an o-ring. Make sure it is not pinched. Do not glue the pump! If you have a cavitation issue, the problem is likely a bad seal from the pump support plate to the hull. The plate is glued on. I would recommend using 3m 5200 silicone adhesive in the gap. Warning, you will never get the plate off if you use this stuff!

cool i hope so i wouild like to take it out sat ---
    oring looks good the seal around the houseing looks ok-- looks hard to unbolt from inside should i reseal any way

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstinger View Post
    cool i hope so i wouild like to take it out sat ---
    oring looks good the seal around the houseing looks ok-- looks hard to unbolt from inside should i reseal any way
    If you plan on removing the intake grate/ride plate for further mods at a later date, use any mild silicone sealant. I used a clear automotive type used for windshields and it works good. Also, the bolts holding everything together, including the pump, are aluminum, & need to be torqued to 18 ft. lbs. Apply blue locktight.

should i fill bolt holes with the same sealer?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcstinger View Post
    should i fill bolt holes with the same sealer?
    No....use a small bit of rope curled around the bolt head and held in place with 100 mph tape, then cover it up with a small amount of JB weld, sand smooth. Do a search in GH for photos......I think its in the yamaha section or SeaDoo section.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information