Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question on pricing for a Lowell built 1390, ported, trued etc. motor.

whoever of you have done this can you clue me into the average turn around time along with the cost roughly to having this work done. I don't expect a post here but if you could send me a PM that'd be great. I contacted Lowell via email I am just waiting for him to respond and I'm ancy. I am picking up the Rossnemo 43mm throttle bodies. My skis have about 100 hours on them each and this marks the 3rd season. I am not sure if I should just go all out and have the pistons, rings etc changed and upgraded to a 1390 or if I should just have it ported and wait until next season. I picked up virtually every bolt on mod last season so now it's time to mess with the heart of the skis.

thanks,

Mike

Depending on the backload of work that has pilled up over the winter you could be in for a long wait. Ben Herman did my 1390 setup but he sent Lowell the head work. I was at the top of the line for both at the time and it took well over a month with a few hang ups. This is to give you an idea on what happens.

Head has to be cut
    Cylinders have to be sent off to be bored and nicked
    Cylinders have to be ported
    Powervalves have to be cut
    Pistons/Rings have to be in stock at GroupK

If there is a hang on up one thing it can take a long time to get everything back. Oh and another thing is if you want to go with a PV 1390 setup you will have to trade those cylinders for some 1200s and cash.

Good luck
    Last edited by Chrisrokc; 04-20-2008 at 12:24 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Depending on the backload of work that has pilled up over the winter you could be in for a long wait. Ben Herman did my 1390 setup but he sent Lowell the head work. I was at the top of the line for both at the time and it took well over a month with a few hang ups. This is to give you an idea on what happens.

Head has to be cut
    Cylinders have to be sent off to be bored and nicked
    Cylinders have to be ported
    Powervalves have to be cut
    Pistons/Rings have to be in stock at GroupK

If there is a hang on up one thing it can take a long time to get everything back.
    This is tue.Bust time has just hit all the machinest.I can tell you that the 43mm TB's hit hard. Lowell will let you know how slammed he is and give you an idea of when it can be done.Good luck on your build.

+1
    oh, I wasn't aware that I would be changing to a PV motor. What can I have Lowell do to my machines that wouldnt involve that? I didn't know that if I wanted to do a larger bore it'd result in all that. Is it possible that he can port my current motor, change rings to be safe along with just trueing the crank?

thanks,

Mike

+1
    not trying to take business from Lowell, but I had my 06 efi motor done by Tim Judge. I just got the port work done. It increased my acceleration and midrange by a lot and I gained 2 mph on top end. I was told that I may gain almost 1 mph, but I ended up gaining 2 mph on top end just from his work on the motor. Took 1 1/2 months to get my cylinder to him and back. Was very pleased with the work.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Lowell's work as well. I think you'd be in good hands with either guy.
    SHOOTER

You can either do your cylinders to 1390 non PV or trade your non PV cylinders for PV 1200 Cylinders + Cash. Then you would get the 1200 cylinders done to 1390. The 1300 PV cylinders are not as fit for a 1390 BB as the 1200 Cylinders because of the exhaust port.

Porting the cylinder is a good gain. You might look into just doing that if money and time is a factor. Welding and truing the crank at the same time would be good security.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    You can either do your cylinders to 1390 non PV or trade your non PV cylinders for PV 1200 Cylinders + Cash. Then you would get the 1200 cylinders done to 1390. The 1300 PV cylinders are not as fit for a 1390 BB as the 1200 Cylinders because of the exhaust port.

Porting the cylinder is a good gain. You might look into just doing that if money and time is a factor. Welding and truing the crank at the same time would be good security.
    Actually the 1300 cyls have a thicker bore lining, so they can go bigger than 1200cyls. Its the transfers that are a little different.

IMO just port your cyls and be back on the water.

+1
    Last conversation Lowell and i had he was booked till after mud bug but that could have changed so would not hurt to give him a call...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by james k View Post
    Last conversation Lowell and i had he was booked till after mud bug but that could have changed so would not hurt to give him a call...
    +1

+1
    Lowell had a death in the family so I am trying to respect that and wait till he reaches out to me as he said he would on Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information