Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I need a new a new Support ring?

I had a hell of a time getting my driveshaft out, and in process I scratched this support ring, do I need to replace it? Also my carbon ring may have a scratch as well, but it looks ok from where itís at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00041.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	68544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00045.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	68545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00048.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	68546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00049.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	68547  

If you take the time to clean it up with wet-or-dry 300, 400, 600 grit you could probably save it. It dosen't look nicked up too badly but hard to tell from the pics. If you don't have the time or elbow grease then replace it with a new one. Definately replace the carbon ring and if close to 100 hours replace the bellows too.

I would replace it! any scratches or imperfections will quickly wear a new carbon seal...

+1
    Larry is dead on you have to find a flat surface put the sandpaper on it and sand the ring in a circular motion. I have done it before with great results. However, bring your paticience.

I attmepted to use a bit of sandpaper on it, it seemed to make it rougher, Im leaning to replaceing it.

Once I got the driveshaft out, I noticed that there is pitting on the area where this support ring sits, and if you look in the above pics there is a bit of pitting on the inside of the ring.

Is there some way to remove that? My drive shaft has some rust on the impeller splines that I think I might be able to remove, but this pitting is pretty stuck. Any good solutions or just replace it? FYI I tried off and on and for days working on getting this support ring off.

Thanks!

replaced it will be less headaches

Quote Originally Posted by Mccoy View Post
    I attmepted to use a bit of sandpaper on it, it seemed to make it rougher, Im leaning to replaceing it.
    Once I got the driveshaft out, I noticed that there is pitting on the area where this support ring sits, and if you look in the above pics there is a bit of pitting on the inside of the ring.
    Is there some way to remove that? My drive shaft has some rust on the impeller splines that I think I might be able to remove, but this pitting is pretty stuck. Any good solutions or just replace it? FYI I tried off and on and for days working on getting this support ring off.
    Thanks!
    Don't use sand paper, use wet-or-dry paper. For the inside, wrap it around a dowel and sand it. To remove the rust on the driveshaft I used a bench grinder with a WIRE wheel. Use some seadoo lub or Fluid Film to soften the rust. They are not expensive so replacing would save a lot of work and replace the carbon ring too. We all have rust buildup between the floating ring and driveshaft, especially in salt water. I try to spray mine every couple of weeks with fluid film to protect and keep the rust soft so I can get the drive shaft out when needed. Be careful and never spray on the carbon ring. It has to stay perfectly clean or it will wear quicker.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i have an excellent condition complete carbon seal/floating ring setup i'll sell if u need it...

comes with carbon seal, bellows, and floating ring all in perfect condition with about 10 hours run time on it

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    i have an excellent condition complete carbon seal/floating ring setup i'll sell if u need it...

comes with carbon seal, bellows, and floating ring all in perfect condition with about 10 hours run time on it
    There you go!! Buy this one and get set for some riding!!

This is one part ont he Jet ski where you dont want to go cheap. Get a new Seal set up and dont risk it. Cheap insurance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information