Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unscientific hull comparison

Guys,

I thought you might have some insight on the hull comparison going on over on the Honda board:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=48244&page=2

You obviously have more experience with the Kawi hull, but I've been reading a lot of your comments on it and have tried to incorporate that into my thoughts.

For background (if you haven't seen my previous comments) - I was planning on getting an Ultra 250 last year until all the problems got me looking at the SHO. It seemed to balance a decent rough water ride with the promise of more performance, so I put my deposit down in October. Now, with the delay of the ski, I've been looking back at the Honda and at the Kawi. I have resisted buying an Ultra because I don't really feel like supporting a company that treated some of its customers so badly. I also wasn't really happy with the prospect of the ski crapping out on me in the middle of the bay, and I was hoping that the Honda would combine reliability with a lighter ski and better gas mileage from the turbocharger.

However, I will be primarily riding in SF Bay, which often has waves in the 3-4 foot range. I'm thinking that the Honda may have been designed too conservatively for that kind of riding. At first it looked similar to the Ultra, but on closer look, my concern is the short bow curve up front. It may be good for a dry ride, but it won't be as good at cutting through the big waves. The longer arc of the Kawi is probably what contributes to it being able to cut through large chop. It also is probably what allows the ski to lean when turned. The Honda will undoubtedly be more stable, but it may pound the waves more in an effort to stay on top of them.

You all obviously have much more experience than I do, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I wish we could see the Honda hull from the front to find out what the contours are like and how deep the V is. It seems like a deeper V will be better, so I'm hoping they went that route rather than the round-bottom SeaDoo-style hull.

Yes, of course all this is premature - we'll have reviews on the Honda out soon. As I say on the Honda thread, I just don't want to wait until June to get this ski...

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas you have...

It's also interesting that the bow angles would explain some of the planing characteristics of the different skis:

-With the stock plate, the Kawi takes a while to get up on a plane. The longer arc would mean the ski would need to go faster to get over the bow wave.

-In the preliminary Honda literature, they talk about one of the design pros of the new hull is its ability to get up on a plane quickly. This is probably because of the steep bow angle, which gets the ski up and out of the water at low speed. Unfortunately, it also probably means the Honda will act like a battering ram against the waves

Antiguan or anyone else who has ridden the SHO - do you have any comments about the rough water ride of the SHO vs. the Ultra?

Your right on the money imaginate, the deep V bow design allows it to chop through waves and lean like a motorcycle, combined that with 1000 pounds of muscle and your in for a good smooth ride.

I live in SSF and ride at Antioch delta all the time, itís a good combination of glass water and huge 3 foot chops. One of my favorite things to do on my ultra is gas it on the glass river that opens into the larger river with the 3 foot chop and you canít even notice the change until you stop.

When driving slow sometimes the bow rides high almost like a wheelie, then when you gas it, it planes from there. The ultra planes fast I would guess from a stand still itís about 2 seconds until it planes with in that time your already closing close to 50mph.

I never ridden a SHO but considered trading my Ultra in, but after reading about the SHO issues I think I better off with my ultra, besides I think it looks the best to. I know your doing your research on the best craft for you but all manufactures have some sort of problem. Just choose what you will want in your machine.

Thanks JD - so you don't find that it throws water up in your face on big waves? On the other forum, Jpack was saying that his riding his LX on big water was like getting doused by buckets of water...

All I can tell you is that I love my ultras and even more so cutting through chop. I rode Friday and Saturday, got off the skis both days dry from shins up (water is still cold here) Most times i'll nose the ski to try and get wet when it's hot out.

Wouldn't trade um for nothing else, not to mention they are the hotest looking out there.

Don't over think it, before you know it the season will be gone...make a decision and have fun, don't look back, less of course you trying to see how far back your buddy riders are

Marc

Def. would not even think about getting a Honda ski, havent heard anything good about them and barely see any on the water. And anything over a foot of chop is like a walk on the beach for an ultra.

+1
    The Kawi is a proven rough water hull. From what you have posted, it seems like that is what you are looking for. The Honda 15X and the SHO Yamaha are an unknown quantity when it comes to running in the rough. I think the guy from Antigua was not too impressed with the rough water capability of his SHO. He also said that the new hull material was not all is cracked up to be. I think the SHO will be a great ski but of all the choices out there, nothing can beat the 250X in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginate View Post
    Thanks JD - so you don't find that it throws water up in your face on big waves? On the other forum, Jpack was saying that his riding his LX on big water was like getting doused by buckets of water...
    Well as far as being a dry ride, it can be if you want. When driving slow the bow rides really low and water dose splash up... it acts like a wedge in large chops. Get it up to about 10 to 15mph and its very dry becasue at that speed the nose is way up before flating out on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by jdracer View Post
    Well as far as being a dry ride, it can be if you want. When driving slow the bow rides really low and water dose splash up... it acts like a wedge in large chops. Get it up to about 10 to 15mph and its very dry becasue at that speed the nose is way up before flating out on a plane.
    Wouldn't go any other way than fast JD .

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by jdracer View Post

Well said JD!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information