Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone on the forum have any leverage with corporate YAMAHA or a good contact?

Hi, Long time Yamaha rider first time poster here on GH. I have an out of comission 03 FX140. I also have a '06 FX CRUISER HO and an '07 FX HO that run great. I live in the Orlando area and ride primarily on the Intercoastal Waterway and Atlantic.

By the way nice site. I posted way back in the day on the Riva Forum when my 140 was new. it has 72 hours on it now. Here's my problem though. While riding in the Intercoastal the motor mounts broke and I had to be towed back to the ramp (roughly 3 miles). This happened on a Memorial Day Weekend. Upon arrival to the ramp and my ski back on the trailer I fired the motor up to blow the water out of the exhaust (about 3 seconds). I did not run the ski anymore after that for fear of the motor destroying the hull of my ski fron the inside.

First thing Tuesday morning I call up the service department of Orlando Yamaha and tell them about my problem. That is also where I had bought it. They tell me that they are slammed and have no room and to bring it in on Friday. Friday the ski is dropped off. I give them the explanation that the ski has been run in salt water and has not been flushed. They obviously tell me that they will take care of it (the ski is under warranty) and off I go.

THREE WEEKS GO BY and I get a call from Jim the service manager and he tells me that the motor mounts were delivered earlier that day and were installed. Then shortly after they went to fire my ski up and low and behold it will not start. Turns out that the motor is locked up solid.

Now is where the major problems begin. They will not warranty the motor mounts because they are a "service item." A service item? When does anyone drop off their WaveRunner and say hey Jim could you change the oil, change the air filter, lube up my throttle cable, oh and, by the way could you change my motor mounts while you're in there.?! Also if they were a so called service item, why were they not in stock? They stock the oil and filters for a service right? The problem of them not being in stock was the main catalyst for them not to be able to expedite the repair of my ski and thus leading to my engine becoming scrap.

Secondly I dropped off my ski in a running condition. It ran perfect. Orlando Yamaha has record of it being there for the appropriate services at the apprepriate times. I never had a problem up until the motor mount incident. Now my ski which I bought brand new and bought the additional warranty has a locked up and junk motor. When I purchased the warranty the salesman a.k.a. LIAR told me that the warranty will cover everything and anything up to the ski setting at the bottom of the ocean, which I purchased insurance for. I was obviously protecting my investment, if you could call it that.

Orlando Yamaha's stance (I will never purchase another product from them ever again and I suggest that no one else should either) is that the damage was done by me through negligence. Which one could see their point. I did have to be towed back which could have caused water to be ingested into the combustion chambers. But how else was I going to get it back to shore? Levitate it? I did run the engine for a short burst when it was pulled out of the water.

Yamaha Corporate really stayed out of it. They were willing to put up a small sum of the money to get my ski back on the water. I was told it would be somewhere in the $6,000 range to make it right again. They were going to put up 10%. I'm sure it would have been more if it my ski wasn't already bought and paid for.

If anyone after reading this long winded post could offer some advice or insight I'd be happy to hear it.

-Eight Lug out

+1
    i think you need to check the motor your self
    if it was not flushed at the most it could have seized a couple of valves
    to be compleatly seized it would have had to be drowned

and in my opinion the motor mounts are a service item they only wear because your riding in very rough water

kev

Unhappy

I agree that the motor mounts are a service item. That's not my argument. My argument is that if they are a service item why aren't they in stock at every dealer with a service department? If they were in stock they could have gotten to the maintenance of my ski the day I dropped it off since I called them four days in advance and told them I was bringing it in for a new set of mounts. Instead they were not ordered and did not arrive at the dealership for three weeks from the day I dropped it off. Which totals nearly a month that my ski was broke and not able to be flushed with normal methods.

Sounds like you need to have a longer conversation with Yami corporate. Make sure they know you droped off a running ski, and got back scrap aluminum.

Good Luck.

i'm not sure yamaha corp can help u they can't even tell me were my sho is
    there nice just no help

You were "just riding along" and the motor mounts broke . Come on, lets hear the rest of the story please. Obvioulsy they are not stocked because it's not a high volume part. I've been riding for years and never broke a motor mount yet. Hate to say it but if you didn't tell the dealership it had a motor full of water when you dropped it off, it's hardly their responsibility now after the fact.

+1
    Take your warrenty paperwork, service tickets and story to a lawyer. Have him write a letter to tell them to fix it or buy it. The yamaha warrenty is even supposed to pay for towing expense if broken on water. Hold them to it!

+1

Cool

(
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Lug View Post
    Hi, Long time Yamaha rider first time poster here on GH. I have an out of commission 03 FX140. I also have a '06 FX CRUISER HO and an '07 FX HO that run great. I live in the Orlando area and ride primarily on the Intercoastal Waterway and Atlantic.

By the way nice site. I posted way back in the day on the Riva Forum when my 140 was new. it has 72 hours on it now. Here's my problem though. While riding in the Intercoastal the motor mounts broke and I had to be towed back to the ramp (roughly 3 miles). This happened on a Memorial Day Weekend. Upon arrival to the ramp and my ski back on the trailer I fired the motor up to blow the water out of the exhaust (about 3 seconds). I did not run the ski anymore after that for fear of the motor destroying the hull of my ski from the inside.

First thing Tuesday morning I call up the service department of Orlando Yamaha and tell them about my problem. That is also where I had bought it. They tell me that they are slammed and have no room and to bring it in on Friday. Friday the ski is dropped off. I give them the explanation that the ski has been run in salt water and has not been flushed. They obviously tell me that they will take care of it (the ski is under warranty) and off I go.

THREE WEEKS GO BY and I get a call from Jim the service manager and he tells me that the motor mounts were delivered earlier that day and were installed. Then shortly after they went to fire my ski up and low and behold it will not start. Turns out that the motor is locked up solid.

Now is where the major problems begin. They will not warranty the motor mounts because they are a "service item." A service item? When does anyone drop off their WaveRunner and say hey Jim could you change the oil, change the air filter, lube up my throttle cable, oh and, by the way could you change my motor mounts while you're in there.?! Also if they were a so called service item, why were they not in stock? They stock the oil and filters for a service right? The problem of them not being in stock was the main catalyst for them not to be able to expedite the repair of my ski and thus leading to my engine becoming scrap.

Secondly I dropped off my ski in a running condition. It ran perfect. Orlando Yamaha has record of it being there for the appropriate services at the appropriate times. I never had a problem up until the motor mount incident. Now my ski which I bought brand new and bought the additional warranty has a locked up and junk motor. When I purchased the warranty the salesman a.k.a. LIAR told me that the warranty will cover everything and anything up to the ski setting at the bottom of the ocean, which I purchased insurance for. I was obviously protecting my investment, if you could call it that.

Orlando Yamaha's stance (I will never purchase another product from them ever again and I suggest that no one else should either) is that the damage was done by me through negligence. Which one could see their point. I did have to be towed back which could have caused water to be ingested into the combustion chambers. But how else was I going to get it back to shore? Levitate it? I did run the engine for a short burst when it was pulled out of the water.

Yamaha Corporate really stayed out of it. They were willing to put up a small sum of the money to get my ski back on the water. I was told it would be somewhere in the $6,000 range to make it right again. They were going to put up 10%. I'm sure it would have been more if it my ski wasn't already bought and paid for.

If anyone after reading this long winded post could offer some advice or insight I'd be happy to hear it.

-Eight Lug out
    well here we go
    they will claim neglect & abuse(motor mounts broken not covered)BUT tell them motor was running when drop off and you inform them of such(neglect on there part) civil suit but try they may pick up parts and you pay labor BUT in this case I doubtful

bud I'm sorry for your loss(I do not work for Yamaha)
    documotion is very important-everything time,names,you'll need to write a book
    good luck
    later cd

+1
    i still don't understand why the motor is seized did it drown ?
    it will not seize from not being flushed as far as i know
    get the ski back and get some one else to check it out

kev

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    You were "just riding along" and the motor mounts broke . Come on, lets hear the rest of the story please. Obvioulsy they are not stocked because it's not a high volume part. I've been riding for years and never broke a motor mount yet. Hate to say it but if you didn't tell the dealership it had a motor full of water when you dropped it off, it's hardly their responsibility now after the fact.

Hard to believe, I know. But yes that day I was on the intercoastal on my way to an island for lunch. I crossed another boats wake and when I came down I had nearly went over the handle bars the ski stopped so fast! My friends whom I was riding with thought I was doing a new trick. the motor didn't shut off it just came uncoupled from the impeller shaft. Took a second to figure that out . So I called for and my friend with a 22' Air Natique pulled me back in.

For defense of the mounts they had a hard life of pulling tubes, wake skates and oh.... about 40 hours of balls out Monster Hole action. In that time I had perfected nailing those swells at 40+ and sticking 180's. Not bad for such a large ski. in my mind I had always imagined scattering the motor to be my FX's demise. Not a pair of mounts, a bad service department and then salt corrosion on a ski that was very well maintained.

Breaking the mounts obviously didn't shake my confidence in Yamaha. I bought and sold an FX Cruiser. Then bought my current Cruiser HO and FX HO. Not to mention my YZF 450 and my Lil 'Punkin's Raptor 50. So it's not like I've boycotted Yammi. I have boycotted Orlando Yamaha though. Sucks for them. I had told them when this all began that it would be in their best interest to fix my ski. They didn't and had lost out on $50k+ on skis, wheelers, trailers, services, parts, and gear. Let alone a diehard customer to Yamaha and my friends who would have bought from them also. In today's economy losing money and customers hurts!

I had also ran the motor for a short burst when it was on the trailer. Then that following Tuesday called Yamaha to tell them about the problem and that the ski was not properly flushed. So then knew of the problem and when it was dropped off to them it was their baby and they dropped the ball .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information