Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

BTL, paint question

Got my paint gun in the mail yesterday. I have about 1/4 of the ski sanded. As I'm sure you know the sanding is coming very slow. My question is this: I plan to repaint all the blue with black. Do I need to sand the blue completely off down to the fiberglass or can I just sand it down to where it's dull, primer over it, and paint black over the top?

I'll try to start taking some pictures to post my progress.

All you need to do is scuff the original paint, then prime and paint. Mine took a couple of hours to do by hand.

Excellent

I had been taking it all off and it was taking forever. You used Brightside paint, right? How's it holding up?

I'll have to go back through your paint thread.

Also, I had a couple of bad gouges in the side of the hull which someone used some filler, but didn't sand it out. Pretty shoddy job. I have them sanded down and ready to fill with the Marine Tex. SHould I apply a gel coat when I'm done? I was thinking about sanding it all down and using a couple coats of VC perfromance epoxy on it. What do you think?

Last question. I saw someone selling a '99 CDI ignition that's supposedly better than the later ones. Are these worth looking into or is it a joke?

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get this thing painted and in the water.

Yes I used brightside. The bottom was just buffed out the top has clear coat. So far it is holding up fine , I have put a few nicks in the bottom from hitting small logs but they are easy to touch up.

How much paint did it take to paint yours?

Between the black and clear I used almost 6 quarts. You probably wont need to use near that much. 1 quart of primer and 1 quart of paint will probably cover the top deck. Depending on how it looks it might need a second can of paint. I would put down at least 4 coats of paint, Mine has 8 wetsanded between coats. Are you planning on clear coating?

Planning on it

Yes, I was planning to clear coat it. Maybe I'll wait and see how it looks after I'm done with the black, though. I only bought 1 quart, but as you said I'm only painting the top. Once you take the seat off, there's really not much to it. Plus, I'll probably thin it like you did. Should make it last longer.

Still debating whether to paint the hood. At this point I think I may leave it silver. I think black/silver would look good.

Sanding is pretty much done. Just waiting for the paint to arrive now.

One probably will do it. You may want to adjust the thinner ratio depending on how smothe it goes on and how quick it is drying. Keep in mind that most of mine was done at arround 50-60 deg. Some of it was done at 39deg. I waited till I could get my booth near 70 before I did the clear. Warmer temps help speed the dry time so you can recoat quicker.

More or Less

You think I should use more or less thinner considering the warmer temps?

I saw the thinner you used at a hardware store last week. Xylene, right? That's probably what I'll get if it worked out good for you.

Started Painting

Sprayed the 1st coat of primer today. I thought it seemed to be pretty easy. I'll probably spray another primer coat tomorrow and then start spraying paint.

If I can get this thing looking decent I will have saved about $300 from the paint shop and will own my own paint gun. I figure as of now I've got around $125 in it. Paint gun, primer, paint, marine tex, sand paper, etc... The grill on my car may be next.

Forgot to take any pictures. I'll try to start taking some in between coats and post on the site.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information