Thread: GPS "Blurp" ???

+1

GPS "Blurp" ???

I have a GTX SC with a Stage I and before today, got 65.5 on GPS. Took it out today and got 65.8 pretty early in my ride. I tried my best to outdo it with no regard. I kept the GPS on during my ride, and before trailering it, I pulled my vest and GPS off and looked at it...67.7 mph on GPS. I was shocked! I have read a few threads where members have said they get GPS "blurps". Is this one of them, and how far off can a "blurp" be? 1 or 2 mph? My mind cannot fathum how a GPS can read faster than it has travelled. Maybe I went 67.7 while riding "down hill". I am going to post 65.8 on my signature, unless some of you believe my "blurp" may actually be accurate. Water was slightly rough, but no white caps. --jeremy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    I have a GTX SC with a Stage I and before today, got 65.5 on GPS. Took it out today and got 65.8 pretty early in my ride. I tried my best to outdo it with no regard. I kept the GPS on during my ride, and before trailering it, I pulled my vest and GPS off and looked at it...67.7 mph on GPS. I was shocked! I have read a few threads where members have said they get GPS "blurps". Is this one of them, and how far off can a "blurp" be? 1 or 2 mph? My mind cannot fathum how a GPS can read faster than it has travelled. Maybe I went 67.7 while riding "down hill". I am going to post 65.8 on my signature, unless some of you believe my "blurp" may actually be accurate. Water was slightly rough, but no white caps. --jeremy
    I had a GPS Blurp of 122 mph before..Damn i thought i was flying

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    i have had it once with my etrax.
    62-65 all day long then all of a sudden its at 73.5
    cleared it, 1 more run 64.2 was so pissed but hey i was on a 11 year old ski (pro 785)passing cars on the highway so all is ok with the world
    dam only 1 hour left on the best numbered day of the year 420
    mattman

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I had one that was 114 mph, in a vehicle (GM) electronically limited to 100mph.

+1
    most of these blurps are so outrageous...I will roll with 65.8 GPS on my signature. Thanks guys. --Jeremy

It has only happened once to me. 422 MPH stage 3 RXP.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP Steve View Post
    It has only happened once to me. 422 MPH stage 3 RXP.
    Are you positive you weren't going 422 mph at the time Steve?

i blurped a few times on my "X" and at first thought it was km because it read 120 sumthin, which i think is close to 70, but then it said sumthin in the 300s and i new it just messed up.

GPS has its anomalies. One of the most significant impacts is the angle of elevation, number of satellites and reflection signals of the satellites being used to calculate the fix.

I believe the ideal angle of elevation of a usable satellite is roughly 15 to 80 degrees off the horizon. The unit should discriminate that automatically.

As you move lower of high off the horizon the lines of intercept of the incoming signals becomes less accurate.
    In short if the unit is using more low and high satellites the positional fix may be skewed. As you pick up and lose satellites the fix could also be degraded.

The other thing is there are two components to the signal. (really 3 date and time is one)
    When the ephemeris data, which is used to calculate the satellites position, and the almanac, that is health of the satellite and network, is updated there may be a one or two blips in the Doppler calculation of the incoming signal which could create a spike (which is more evident to the end user) or a dip (which is nearly invisible) while the unit updates.

Ok enuf fun today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps fix.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	69041  

Thread Information