+1

Optimax or HPDI??

I'm in the market for a 225 hp outboard with a 20" shaft. a four stroke will be too heavy so I am going to go with a direct injected Mercury or Yamaha. I've heard good things about both engines. I am looking for something used with under 400 hrs, and 04 or newer. Do you guys have any suggestions? Any bad experiences, and things to look for before buying? I'm hoping I can find what I am looking for in the 9 or 10K range.

Thanks

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    What boat ?size? motor pound limit?
    if you are pushing an empty hull (light) go MERC
    but if you are carying people, ice, lots of gas, gear -go YAMI
    but ummm i am a hack and i love my 4 srtoke yamis 225's
    mattman

+1
    Check out screamandfly web site lots of info there

+1
    go with an Evinrude E-tec!

I don't like Mercury outboards. I've seen too many problems with them. We dumped ours and went Yamaha this year. Some of my neighbors have had similar problems as ours too, and they're different year motors. I also talked to a local dealer who was a little more talkative on the motor quality subject, and he said even though they don't see too many in the shop they always have more Mercury's to work on than Yamahas. I've also heard many great things about the Evinrude E-tec engines, but when I talked to another local dealer they said they quit carrying them because of problems. Couldn't get any more information on the "problem" with the E-tecs than that out of them.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 04-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.

+1
    its an aluminum bass boat. Its custom made and I don't know the weight. It had a 94 200 mariner on it. I think the optimax will be around 80 lbs heavier, so it will be fine on the weight. I have heard that you are not supposed to lug these motors. I'm leaning towards the optimax more because the local mercury shop has a good reputation. But I also know that Yamaha makes a great outboard, most of the commercial fisherman around here run Yamaha. That definately says something for Yamaha.

thanks

+1
    What is the difference between a Yamaha HPDI and a Yamaha Vmax HPDI? I think I may have found a good deal on a Yamaha.

Thanks

The reason that you see alot more mercurys in the shop is because they sell WAY more motors than yamaha. We're on the 3rd boat with mercury, all problem free so far. The 88' mercury had a problem of breaking lower units but that was just too much motor for the lower unit. Upgraded to a 200 optimax now, only 10 hours on the boat and motor so its barely broken in. We did TONS of research before buying the new bass cat with mercury and every dealer had their favorite motors. I'd go with a mercury or a yamaha. The mercurys have come a long way in the past few years and our new motor seems to be everything we could want for our 19'5 bassboat. Im just not sold on e tecs new no maitanence for several years(plus their ads on TV are false, as they compare their 2 stroke to all the 4 strokes. Not a fair comparison)

Parts

Call Mercury see if you can get them to sell you regulator parts or air regulator parts for ANY of their Opti machines any year
    Then call Yamaha......You will know which one to purchase from then on. Expect no more than 1000 hours and toss the merc to ebay for parts.

After verifying nothign changed in the Mercury camp of Management, I cancelled my order for a opti today Got stung far too many times with their 99 operations. Feel sad for all the hours their engineers spent building it.

+1
    Evinrude e-Tec is awesome we have a 130 on are sea-arc fishing/hunting boat. You can winterized and fog them after each ride if u ride in cold and salt water that's a good option. We had a mercury 200 optimax on are 20' outrage Boston whaler. That thing was a screamer. Only problem was the drive shaft split believe it or not. I'd still recommend it because how great it was to us with great mpg. The dealer said that it was a fluke that it broke

Thread Information