Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

High RPM's but speed not there???

Hello all! I've been coming on here pretty often, but this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the problem I am having. I was riding my 97 GTX today when all of a sudden I lost about 12-15 mph in speed. The usual reading on the speed odometer at WOT is right at 57 mph. It dropped down to 42 mph all of a sudden while turning the same RPM's. It sounded like after I hit 22-23 mph, the impeller was cavitating - may have been something in the engine though. I thought I may have sucked up something in the impeller, but after picking up the ski to examine it, everything looked fine. I then pulled off the seat, and smoke came out and smelled like something was burning/melting. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    What does it smell like? burning metal or burning electrical? If you think that you have someting in the pump housing I would pull it off and look a little closer.
    You will find a lot of good advise here espically from 96XPSS, Tweeker, and WaterWorx, just to name a few...I know I have. Welcome to GreenHulk!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Sounds like your WRV busted and burned your coupler between the pipe and waterbox. Did the ski have water in the bottom?

Welcome to the board!

Thanks man! I got back late last night from the lake, so I really couldn't take too good a look at it. I would say that the smell is more of an electrical or a burnt plastic smell. I could be wrong though. There was not too much water at all in the ski; there was some but that could have been from me throwing a little water under the seat when I saw the smoke coming out. I really haven't messed with jet skis too much, but I am pretty good and enjoy taking things apart to figure what is wrong. What should be my checks from the waterbox to determine if anything is wrong? Would a manual better help me to understand everything, or is it pretty straightforward? Thanks!

It's pretty straightforward. The waterbox looks like a muffler, and you'll be able to find the coupler from there.

Take a look and see what you find before we continue with other possibilities.

Thanks 96XPSS. I took the couple off, and there was damage to it. There was a spot on the inside of the couple that looked as if it started to burn a little, and then there were 2 holes on the outside that would allow exhaust to come through. I put the couple on a flat surface, filled with water, and applied a little pressure; water and air bubbles came out of the hole. I will replace this, but what else do I need to do now. I know you said the WRV (water return valve right?) probably busted, so how do I go about fixing this problem? Also, I need to change my wear ring, is this pretty easy to do on this model?

+1
    Here is my version....

You are revving so high because your wearring is shot & with a wearing shot your are not pumping enough water to properly cool your motor so then you overheated the exhaust because of poor cooling & revving the piss out of your motor.

Get under your ski with a flashlight & look back towards the prop,what color is the area around the outside of the prop ??? White & a huge clearance & you need a new wearring.

There should be very little clearance around the prop lees than 1/8 of a inch at best.

I think I def have wear ring issues to. The area is def white, and I can see fragments of what appears to be the old wear ring (black in color). Is this pretty easy to change? Can I knock the remains of the the old one out with a screw driver? Can I purchase the wear rings at the online store? Thanks for all of your help!

+1
    Get a oem Seadoo for sure some of the aftermarket ones dont fit right,approx $45.

You ave to remove impeller which requires some special tools & then cut out & the new one pressed in.

If the dont sell them here call me & I can get you one.

Click link below for #.

Get him an exhaust coupler too Worx...

The water regulating valve may be ok, but check it when you put it in the water next time. It should not leak water when the engine is running on the trailer, while sitting in the water. Just make a few short bursts while the ski is still strapped to the trailer. If it is bad, the pipe (lower chamber below the SS band, where the coupler connects) will discolor from excessive heat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information