Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thru Hull Fitting Rebuild

So THIS weekend, my thru hull fitting decided to let loose. Looks like it's had a previous repair....maybe, or do they usually use teflon tape on the threads (a lot)? The threads are pretty much gone. This happened Saturday first thing. I was able to wrap the threads with flat nylon string, shove the fitting back in to the hole and bungee the fitting in place with some rearward pressure. We were able to use the ski the rest of the weekend with only one little sinking incident!

I haven't disassembled it yet, but as I said, the threads look like they're flattened out on the fitting. I suppose the threads in the hull are gone as well, because it slides all the way back in without interference. What's the best way to repair? Is it possible to re-fiberglass/resin and re-tap the hole in the hull? Or just buy a new fitting (or re-use the old one?) and jam it in with plenty of strong epoxy?

Any suggestions would be great.

+1
    Which through hull fitting are you refering to??? Pics are great too

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by inorbit View Post
    ...my thru hull fitting decided to let loose... The threads are pretty much gone.

...the threads look like they're flattened out on the fitting. I suppose the threads in the hull are gone as well, because it slides all the way back in without interference.
    I think the through hull is retained with a nut on the jet pump side of the hull.

Have a look underneath, up into the intake grate. There may be some parts still on the drive shaft.

From the parts diagram, figure out what you need, then ask around in the Classifieds. Might be able to find good used parts.

Since you are going to have the jet pump off, now would be a good time to think about checking the pump and drive shaft for wear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6686_4087B004.gif 
Views:	125 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	68699  

Sorry about not identifying. The ski is an 04 Freedom. I'll get some pics tonight and re-post. K447's drawing is correct for this model. The part in question is the fitting that 's ahead of the impeller. I can't make out the number...I think 15? I think I can order a replacement, no problem. Just wondering if anyone has done this repair when/if the threads are damaged in the hull. I should have disassembled before posting. I'll post again later.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The hull is not threaded,there is the fitting,a O-ring and a nut. Just make sure the opening in the hull hasn't been to wore out from the fitting jumping around.

+1
    2004 Freedom. I'll get some pics tonight and re-post.
    K447's drawing is correct for this model. The part in question is the fitting that 's ahead of the impeller.

I can't make out the number...I think 15?

I think I can order a replacement, no problem. Just wondering if anyone has done this repair when/if the threads are damaged in the hull. I should have disassembled before posting. I'll post again later.
    Click on the thumbnail image in my post to see a full size picture.
    On some browsers (I use Firefox), you might have to then click on the bigger image to see the actual, full resolution picture.

When using the Atlantic PowerSports parts finder, click on "Larger Image" to expand the parts diagram in a separate window.

There are no threads in the hull itself. The nut on the outside screws onto the threads of the fitting, with an O-ring seal.

+1
    not sure if 02 is the same as 04 but there is one on ebay

2002 Polaris Freedom Thru Hull Fitting

Item number: 220184945869
    Last edited by seaobin; 04-21-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Im a moron and forgot the number

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    not sure if 02 is the same as 04 but there is one on ebay
    2002 Polaris Freedom Thru Hull Fitting
    Item number: 220184945869
    Polaris part usage cross reference

Part# 5432298

Looks like 5432298 fits everything from 2000-2004

eBay item 220184945869 looks like it is the greased bearing, not the plastic fitting that goes through the hull to the outside.
    Last edited by K447; 04-21-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Wrong eBay item number

+1
    Sorry about not identifying. The ski is an 04 Freedom. I'll get some pics tonight and re-post. K447's drawing is correct for this model. The part in question is the fitting that 's ahead of the impeller. I can't make out the number...I think 15? I think I can order a replacement, no problem. Just wondering if anyone has done this repair when/if the threads are damaged in the hull. I should have disassembled before posting. I'll post again later.
    I have a brand new one for less than half of retail price...if interested just send PM.

Got everything apart last night. Y'all were right about the hull not being threaded. Thanks, this'll make my life a little easier. Looks like it was repaired before, as there was some chunks of resin? in the groove on the fitting where the o-ring should be. There are a few threads missing on the fitting itself. The nut was still in its slot on the outside of the hull, and the hole in the hull is still round and it doesn't look damaged. I'll have to do more scraping/sanding to get the inner surface flat again, since it has some resin residue (this could be epoxy, but it sands like resin). The new parts should fit in no problem. I couldn't get any pics last night. I'm looking for the tool you use to tighten this thing. Looks like it may have three splines that slip into the fitting. May have to make one. JetskiMN, do you have the nut and the o-ring too? Thanks to all for you input.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information